Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the K5 had a good ramp up after it introduction, with a peak in May 2021, then it's been on the down hill ever since. Even with the sales slump, dealers are still putting markups on the K5.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

So, why the sale slump? People losing interest in 4 door sedans? Still the supply chain? Dealers markups? Or a combination there of?

· Registered
89 Posts
I’d guess maybe markups and still the supply chain as a combo? Then again, I look at that and see more of a sales spike than a slump. If Jan sales end up back over 4,000 a month, then it would have been a fairly steady roughly 6,000 a month with a spike in early 2021 which could have been tied to a one time spike of folks feeling more confident about their financial situation after a couple years of concern.

· Registered
443 Posts
I am guessing the supply chain is killing things a bit. Plus wit the dealer markups with the K5's and other manufacturers chilling out with the markups, People are going else where. when you can get a Camry TRD for 4 to 5 grand less than an equivalent K5 GT, which are you going to choose. Those were the 2 cars I was looking at when I bought mine and the pricing was about the same and a K5 GT was available a TRD was 4 to 6 weeks out and was being offered about the same on my trade. Presently, with a TRD 4 grand less, I would definantly go with the Camry.

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
12 Posts
I do think it is the mark up price. There are so many people posting about those issues and most car companies can't or will not do anything about it since dealerships are independent. There are some cases where the companies stepped in, but even then its a small number.

Another factor could be recalls. Many people don't want to deal with that. Especially with some of the dealership horror stories I have read via random searches on Google about getting the dealer not being fully transparent on what the issue is or the exact reason for the recall.

· Registered
443 Posts
Yea many have issues with the recall things. All I look at is the warranty. If covered on warranty, don't care it will take care of it if something happens. Plus Texas if there is a continuing issue has a nicely aggressive lemon law if car is bought new. 3 times to dealer and can't fix, the lemon law kicks in and if dealer has an issue the state has not issue with jumping in. Happened with a friend with a ford a few years ago. Once he involved the state was resolved in less than a month.

He got loan paid for and a check for the difference between initial cost and the subtraction of the miles driven based on the GSA mile reimbursement difference. Did not drive it much with a company vehicle so had really low mileage. got almost $7k after having it and fighting for 18 months bef0er getting state involved.

· Registered
1 Posts
I was considering the K5 for my son, but noticed there were very limited K5s in the Bay Area (at least off the Costco and TrueCar searches). Were dealers abusing the K5 with markups like the EV6? Or is it just the 22 to 23 transition and only limited trims are available?

· Registered
443 Posts
I was considering the K5 for my son, but noticed there were very limited K5s in the Bay Area (at least off the Costco and TrueCar searches). Were dealers abusing the K5 with markups like the EV6? Or is it just the 22 to 23 transition and only limited trims are available?
Both but mainly here in Dallas the deler mrkups. most of the Kia dealers are 3 to 5k over MSRP. That is except one but the one thty does not is order only. and Gotta wait 2-6 months.

· Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,396 Posts
Over here in my area of South Florida, I have been seeing a lot of '22 and a few '23 Kia K5 models on the road. About 2/3 of those are GT-Lines and 1/3 are LX/LXS/EX models and a couple of GTs. I see very few '21 models out on the road, though.

Then again, I live in the vicinity of a few Kia dealerships as well so I also see EV6s now and then.

· Registered
12 Posts
So, the K5 had a good ramp up after it introduction, with a peak in May 2021, then it's been on the down hill ever since. Even with the sales slump, dealers are still putting markups on the K5.

View attachment 4131

So, why the sale slump? People losing interest in 4 door sedans? Still the supply chain? Dealers markups? Or a combination there of?
if there is a sales slump, it will lead to lower prices

· Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
1,192 Posts
I'm guessing it's a supply issue since my dealer sells the k5 as soon as it gets to the dealer. I bought mine 2 weeks before it arrived. Manager told me they ordered a GT and I immediately put a deposit.

· Registered
7 Posts
I waited six months for my GT line AWD to come in. I picked mine up in April and have only seen two other K5's in the Western New York area. I'm sure there are several more but I haven't seen them.

· Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
262 Posts
Until you can go to the dealer and there are 20 available like in the old days, it is likely due to a lack of availability, not price gouging. Personally, I will never pay > MSRP. I honestly don't know if I can bring myself to even pay MSRP for a car. For sure, the next car I buy will be a new experience.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Until you can go to the dealer and there are 20 available like in the old days, it is likely due to a lack of availability, not price gouging. Personally, I will never pay > MSRP. I honestly don't know if I can bring myself to even pay MSRP for a car. For sure, the next car I buy will be a new experience.
I'd argue the dealers are price gouging because of the lack of availability. And I said so much I'd "give" them MSRP, but I ain't paying more than that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts