Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line FWD
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Looks like this kit's pretty popular in Korea and it's sold for $12-13 ish over there but I haven't seen any kit like this sold in the U.S., Has anyone seen one here yet?

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,334 Posts
Same, annoys me to have to close the trunk by awkwardly pressing down on the spoiler and/or tail light. I also wished the trunk opened a little more softly at the end. The hands free trunk opening feature is cool but the way the trunk swings open is quite violent. I wonder if there's something to soften it towards the end, like a cushion or a hydraulic dampener like the hood.

·
Premium Member
2021 K5 GT
113 Posts
I've been following along for a bit but here is my input on this situation.
Unhappy with the lack of a pull handle inside the trunk lid, I did some browsing and found the parts needed to replace a trunk lid handle on my 2012 Kia Optima SX.
It consisted of the pull handle, 2 screws,2 screw retaining clips, and the trunk lid liner.
I ordered the parts hoping there would be some way to make them work with the closely similar 2021 K5 GT.

When the parts arrived, the box was large enough at 48" X 24" X 6". This of course was due to the trunk lid liner of which I only needed a small section, which I cut out and placed the rest aside for possible future use.

Now came time to remove the liner from the trunk lid of the K5 to see how the mounting hardware might fit somewhere. Out came the plastic push pins one after another until the whole liner was loose in my hands. I lowered it gently and placed it into the trunk. When I looked up at the exposed lid, I was elated to see the exact same mounting holes needed for the hardware I had ordered.
The K5 (at least the GT in Canada) has the recessed spot in the trunk lid for the handle and the holes for the hardware to mount it.

I guess the most difficult part is trying to cut the trunk liner from the K5 just perfect to show the handle and the recessed liner from the '12 Optima the underneath while still looking "factory"
I kind of rushed my work and learned from how it looks what to do different next time around.
I will post some pics of some of the work as well as part numbers if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
2021 K5 GT
113 Posts
I found the pictures I took on the day I installed the pull handle with the trunk lid liner removed.

Shows the trunk lid with the liner off.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Tire

Closer view of the recessed area and the holes for the mounting hardware.
White Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

Pull handle installed. This is where I had to make up for a mistake when ordering the parts. I only ordered 1 screw and 1 screw retainer, where 2 are needed. I improvised and actually found two short bolts with rectangular nuts that worked really well.
Hood Motor vehicle Grey Rim Bicycle part

Once the install is completed the pull handle can be snapped shut, but I had to take it back apart a few times still. Here's how it would look.
Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Gas

It stayed like this for about 2 weeks before I could get an opportunity to cut the liner and re-install it. I could still trim it up a bit more, but for the most part, it's functional and looks, well, like a first attempt.
I'll post those pictures after I take them, as well as the part numbers for anyone looking to try something similar.

·
Premium Member
2021 K5 GT
113 Posts
These are the parts that I ordered from the website "Kia.parts" to do the work above.

Pull Handle - Kia (81254-3S000) $4.95 X 1
Door Trim Panel Screw - Kia (12492-05123) $0.99 X 2
Handle, Inside Retainer - Kia (14910-05000) $0.88 X 2
Trunk Lid Trim - Kia (81752-2T000) $77.44 X 1

The trunk lid trim would be optional I suppose. Depending on how you are able to cut out your current trunk lid trim you may not need it at all.
Looking back, I didn't really plan out my cuts as well as I could have and ended up making the hole too big in the K5 trim and cutting the Optima liner a bit too small.
I figure I have a few options that I'll likely explore in this order:
(1) Trim it up a bit more a be happy it works as intended.
(2) Try to find a material that can bridge the gap between the two layers to create a more seamless look.
(3) Order another trunk lid trim and make more precise cuts.

Automotive design Automotive exterior Rectangle Tints and shades Personal luxury car
Car White Hood Vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Vehicle door Wood
Rectangle Bumper Grille Vehicle door Automotive design

I will post any updates as they are done.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,334 Posts
I was wondering if it'd be possible to use a steamer to reshape that portion of the liner to land more flush with where the holes are? Might be something to try on the old liner when you get the new one in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.