Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GT-Line AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just bought my ‘22 GT-line AWD this week. My second key fob works for lock/unlock, remote start, etc., but when I enter the car it says “key fob not detected”

I switched out battery and I’m getting the same problem.

Anyone else experience this? TIA!

·
Registered
2022 GT-Line AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try pushing the push button with the fob. It's the way to start it when batt is dead.
Maybe there's interference and it's not detecting the fob from far?
Yes that does work and starts the car, thank you!

It still won’t detect the fob until I do that though, which is weird and I can’t find anyone on the internet with the same situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone, just bought my ‘22 GT-line AWD this week. My second key fob works for lock/unlock, remote start, etc., but when I enter the car it says “key fob not detected”

I switched out battery and I’m getting the same problem.

Anyone else experience this? TIA!
Your car is still under warranty, so just take it to the dealer

·
Registered
25 Posts
After more investigation it looks like the battery has gone dead again. The dealer replaced the last one in September 2.5 months ago. Look like something is draining the battery. The amp meter shows 6.5, I put the charger on and will see if it will take the charge. Will advise. Any ideas will be welcome. Alan

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm wondering if something in the K5 electrical system is or must be putting a drain on the battery. One other amazeing thing is that both failures occured in my garage. If had been at the store with my wife in command things would have been much worse! I'm just saying!

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,333 Posts
How is the cell signal in your garage? I'm just wondering if that can be a factor... Or do you have anything in the garage that could cause some type of wireless interference?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Update....lest evening i was able to get the k5 started and drove it to the dealer. He checked the battery and told me tghat it looked OK. Said that the alternator is working because the drive charged the battery to full capacity.
So I drove home and parked k5 in the garage. This morning the K5 is back to normal, lights, starting
perfectly. must be some soprt of medical going on in the garage.
This morning all ios good, thanks for the ideas, help, and prayers. Alan

·
Super Moderator
237 Posts
@Alan
Was it the car battery and not the Key Fob's?

Batteries drain over time and discharge. Its a parasitic drain. It doesnt just refer to headlights or dome lights left on. It can also be other electronic anomalies. For instance, memory seat settings, radio presets, car alarm, etc will drain the car battery. By letting the car sit in the garage without starting it, or only driving short distances, the alternator cant recharge the battery back to 100%. The battery life will diminish and will need to be replaced sooner than expected if you continue down this path.

Purchase a multimeter and check your car battery if it doesn't start. Battery volts should be 12.6 volts. 14.4 volts when the engine is running. The alternator is charging the battery. This is a poor mans way to check battery and alternator. If you do plan to keep the car parked for long durations, it is recommended to use a battery tender to trickle charge the battery.

·
Super Moderator
237 Posts
Thank you K5iFound. Great insight. I did notice that the red dome light indicator light on the push botton switch was on and might have caused the drain. Thanks again for the help, Alan
My dome light indicator is on all the time. That is to allow the dome light to come on when door is opened. It has its benefits. I let my car sit for 2-3 days and I havent had issues with the battery draining.

How long is your car parked when you notice the issue? This will help answer questions for lurkers if they have similar issues as you are. Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,333 Posts
It's weird, I've mostly heard of this issue happening to EX owners, and I think maybe one or two GT-Line owners. It also seems to be isolated to K5s with the larger screen. Cars usually draw a decent amount of amps even right after you turn it off but it usually lowers to almost no draw or sometimes to 3 amps.

How far away do you usually keep your keys from the car? It might be kept on an "on" state if the key is too close (for example, when you get near the car it'll turn on the door handle "welcome lights", in which case it would probably start up other systems onto an active standby mode).

By the way, if you had turned on the dome lights but accidentally forget to turn them off after turning the engine off, it'll automatically turn the lights off when you close the doors and lock the car. I just noticed this the other day. lol

:Edit:
Oh, I also want to add that something like this has happened to me once before when I parked in a Lowe's parking lot. I was locked out of the car for a good while before it finally let me unlock the door but it didn't detect my keyfob until I turned it on with the keyfob next to the ignition button. In my situation, it was probably caused by interference. At the time I was parked right next to one of those local police parking lot monitor devices so it's possible the signals from it was interfering with the car and keyfob communication

1 - 20 of 20 Posts