Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Well, I've got a 2023 GT so hopefully I am good???
What is a bit worrisome is that there is no remedy yet and customers can stop driving their vehicle and get a loaner.
Did you read the article? There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Smartstream Wet 8DCT.

There appears to be a higher than expected incident of pump failure.

The only person on this board to experience this is @1st K5 .

The problem that the recall relates to is the original transmission software. The original program did/does not provide an appropriate safety/limp mode should the pump fail. Consequently, pump failure often resulted in failure of the entire powertrain.

The DCT software update available for free at any Kia dealer corrects this issue. After you receive the update, if the DCT pump fails the rest of the transmission and powertrain will be OK.

There is absolutely no reason to panic here.

Just go get the dadgum update done.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you read the article? There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Smartstream Wet 8DCT.

There appears to be a higher than expected incident of pump failure.

The only person on this board to experience this is @1st K5 .

The problem that the recall relates to is the original transmission software. The original program did/does not provide an appropriate safety/limp mode should the pump fail. Consequently, pump failure often resulted in failure of the entire powertrain.

The DCT software update available for free at any Kia dealer corrects this issue. After you receive the update, if the DCT pump fails the rest of the transmission and powertrain will be OK.

There is absolutely no reason to panic here.

Just go get the dadgum update done.
Why would you think that there is a panic?
I understand what you are saying, but the messaging from Hyundai seems off. If the fix is a software update, why wouldn't they just state that? The recall dated from last week actually states, no fix yet.
I am not arguing what you are saying, but is it possible that this is something new/different? Because if I am Hyundai, and the fix is just an update, why would I tell dealers to stop selling existing inventory and to give customers loaners? Seems like updating software would be much cheaper.

I am not really concerned for my car because this seems to be limited to MY 2021-2022 and I have a 2023.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Kia version:

This is NOT a software issue. Recall states:
Detachment of a component of the electric oil pump circuit board due to insufficient soldering at the supplier.
So IMO, the pump circuit board needs to be swapped. Otherwise, you are a bad solder joint away from a transmission failure and being stranded or worse.

Also, just my luck. Kia states that K5s manufactured after 8/13/2022 are ok. Mine was manufactured 8/6/2022.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine software update is scheduled for Thursday. They said no transmission issues after the update.
Hopefully, but according to the recall, dealers haven't even been notified yet. Dec 6th is when Kia is planning dealer notification with letters going out to owners on Dec 9. Not sure how they will address this. IMO, if the boards coming from the manufacturer had solder issues, they should replace the boards. The recall states that the dealers will inspect the transmission and replace if necessary. Does this mean that the failure of this board caused transmission damage or are they inspecting the boards? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

· Registered
443 Posts
Why it would take over 50 days to notify dealers when this notice is a matter of public record sound pretty unrealistic.

How many of us have seen this notice and already called their dealers, I would guess at least a few thousands.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why it would take over 50 days to notify dealers when this notice is a matter of public record sound pretty unrealistic.

How many of us have seen this notice and already called their dealers, I would guess at least a few thousands.
My guess would be because they are trying to finalize the fix and/or ramp up needed parts.
For example, if, as I suspect, they will need to replace the oil pump board, they will need to have as many of these parts on hand and ready to go. (But again, this is me speculating) More speculation on my part, bad solder joints causing the pump to stop working would be very, very bad.

Also, we are a very small percentage of K5 owners. I think the number that would have known about this recall before notification would be a few hundred tops. Now, if enough car sites pick this up, this would add to that few hundred but still a small fraction of K5 owners.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well this engine is also in the sorento(I think that was it) almost 90 K cars involved in the recall.
Right. And Hyundai's version of this recall affects many other vehicles. This recall affects every single 8 speed DCT. I just don't see how a software update can fix a problem with bad solder joints on a board and as I mentioned on an earlier post, Hyundai would not have issued a stop sale.

· Registered
443 Posts
Well, Was there this morning. Showed them the notice from NHTSA. They looked at it and told me we have not seen this. The only item they had was a software upgrade. Told me that recall did not apply to my vehicle. They also said owners usually have these notices before the dealers do. I am guessing Kia has not yet notified their dealers for this one yet. So will probably be back in December.

On a side note, the software update is amazing with the performance. The lag from a stop due to the turbo lag is absolutely gone. No lag whatsoever. Ran from normal, sport and sport+ and jumped right on it. In sports plus got rubber in the first 4 gears..

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dec 6th is when dealers were supposed to be notified. Just wondering if anyone has stopped in to get more info. Guessing we'll know something by next week as the letters to owners start to arrive.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts