Kia K5 Forum banner

KIA/Hyundai recalling on 8 speed DCT.

7K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  1st K5 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Did you read the article? There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Smartstream Wet 8DCT.

There appears to be a higher than expected incident of pump failure.

The only person on this board to experience this is @1st K5 .

The problem that the recall relates to is the original transmission software. The original program did/does not provide an appropriate safety/limp mode should the pump fail. Consequently, pump failure often resulted in failure of the entire powertrain.

The DCT software update available for free at any Kia dealer corrects this issue. After you receive the update, if the DCT pump fails the rest of the transmission and powertrain will be OK.

There is absolutely no reason to panic here.

Just go get the dadgum update done.

#7 · (Edited)
Kia version:

This is NOT a software issue. Recall states:
Detachment of a component of the electric oil pump circuit board due to insufficient soldering at the supplier.
So IMO, the pump circuit board needs to be swapped. Otherwise, you are a bad solder joint away from a transmission failure and being stranded or worse.

Also, just my luck. Kia states that K5s manufactured after 8/13/2022 are ok. Mine was manufactured 8/6/2022.

#12 ·
My guess would be because they are trying to finalize the fix and/or ramp up needed parts.
For example, if, as I suspect, they will need to replace the oil pump board, they will need to have as many of these parts on hand and ready to go. (But again, this is me speculating) More speculation on my part, bad solder joints causing the pump to stop working would be very, very bad.

Also, we are a very small percentage of K5 owners. I think the number that would have known about this recall before notification would be a few hundred tops. Now, if enough car sites pick this up, this would add to that few hundred but still a small fraction of K5 owners.

#14 ·
Right. And Hyundai's version of this recall affects many other vehicles. This recall affects every single 8 speed DCT. I just don't see how a software update can fix a problem with bad solder joints on a board and as I mentioned on an earlier post, Hyundai would not have issued a stop sale.

#17 ·
Well, Was there this morning. Showed them the notice from NHTSA. They looked at it and told me we have not seen this. The only item they had was a software upgrade. Told me that recall did not apply to my vehicle. They also said owners usually have these notices before the dealers do. I am guessing Kia has not yet notified their dealers for this one yet. So will probably be back in December.

On a side note, the software update is amazing with the performance. The lag from a stop due to the turbo lag is absolutely gone. No lag whatsoever. Ran from normal, sport and sport+ and jumped right on it. In sports plus got rubber in the first 4 gears..

#22 ·
The same recall that we started this thread about. Hyundai/Kia was supposed to inform dealers of how to proceed with the DCT recall. A bad board can cause the oil pump to fail and damage the transmission.
I haven't really changed my driving habits up until now but I will take my kids to NYC (4 hour drive) for a weekend trip and I will probably take a different car to be safe.

#26 ·
If you read the text carefully you get the impression they are updating the software to allow for a few more minutes to get pulled over if the pump fails. As it is, you have about 30 seconds to get to the side of the road before things get ugly, and this merely extends that time.

#27 ·
Did mine just over a week ago. They upgraded the transmission software. It now shifts more smooth. Still kick back a little sometimes when coming to a stop. And when I push it seems to me that the acceleration was more impressive before the upgrade, still pretty good/fast. I am happier overall with the upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.