Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, there is a choice between kia k5 1.6 turbo and honda accord 1.5, what can you advise?
Has anyone had a Kia K5 1.6? What can be said better than Honda or lower? has anyone had a honda accord 1.5 turbo what were the problems?
Is Honda's CVT Reliable? k5 1.6 rides better than honda?

·
Registered
15 Posts
yes I have a 2021 k5 ,1.6 turbo. it is by far the best car I've ever owned. WHY, great ride, great seats very comfortable and fully adjustable, outstanding
standing gas milage 40 + mpg in smart mode, paint-fit-and finish are #1. I have also owned several older Honda civics and they done stack up to the K5-ex.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes I have a 2021 k5 ,1.6 turbo. it is by far the best car I've ever owned. WHY, great ride, great seats very comftorbul and fully adjustbul, outstanding
standing gas milage 40 + mpg in smart mode, paint-fit-and finish are #1. I have also owned several older Honda civics and they done stack up to the K5-ex.
and compared with the accord, in general, kia k5 is now the best in its class?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I haven't had any firsthand experience with the Honda engine, but I've read and heard a lot. Like the Kia 1.6t, it's basically a solid engine. But it has some known problems:
1. Oil dilution - The oil can get contaminated by gasoline getting past the piston rings. This is potentially serious problem in cold climates, and is made worse by driving short distances where the engine doesn't get up to temperature. Gasoline in the oil is a bad thing, since it thins the oil and increases wear on engine parts.
2. Carbon buildup - All direct-injection engines suffer from carbon deposits to some degree, but the design of the Honda engine apparently makes it easier for the carbon to end up on valve seats and on spark plugs, and engine performance is eventually degraded. There are ways to remove some of this buildup, but it's not easy, and if not done soon enough there could be permanent damage to the engine.

The Kia 1.6T (Gamma) engine has a few issues, too:
1. Oil leakage from the cylinder head, at 20,000 - 30,000 miles. A new gasket fixes it.
2. Carbon build-up, like all direct-injection engines, but slightly less a problem than the Honda 1.5T.

As for power:
  • The Honda 1.5T engine puts out anywhere from about 160 - 205hp, depending on tune and application.
  • The Kia 1.6T puts out anywhere from 175 - 202hp, again depending on application.

So the two engines are very comparable in terms of horsepower, torque, and fuel mileage, and I would say reliability is also about the same. Take care of either one and it will give good service.

So the choice is yours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but in general, just wondering, k5 has become a leader in its class? or not ? i watched kia k5 gt vs honda accord 2.0t youtube channel samcarlegion and i liked how fast kia moves away from honda. I really like Japanese cars, but unfortunately I was disappointed in Honda, of course, judging a drag race is stupid, but in principle it looks like Honda is not the same anymore.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One more thing about my 2021 K5ex the 1.6 turbo is great. WHY you might ask- B/C MPG, axcelleration is better than expected, no oil leaks or drips, no oil burn or exhaust smoke, and the dual exhaust ports in the rear bumper never need cleaning.:) even after 22000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One more thing about my 2021 K5ex the 1.6 turbo is great. WHY you might ask- B/C MPG, axcelleration is better than expected, no oil leaks or drips, no oil burn or exhaust smoke, and the dual exhaust ports in the rear bumper never need cleaning.:) even after 22000 miles.
well done kia, i'm very happy.I was also disappointed in Honda that they began to install a cvt transmission, Kia in this, the good fellows kept reliable torque converter automatic transmissions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts