Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2022 K5 EX with Syntex materials and was wondering on how to adequately maintain my car.

I can't ask my parents since they don't know much about cars.

What products are safe for the interior? I heard someone say Mother's VRL (console, seats, wheel) and Armorall original spray for dashboard and doors.

Are these products fine? And if so, what should I use for windows and wiper fluid?

Is waxing and car washing by yourself better than a car wash (or paying someone else)? I assume that you just mix water and car soap in a tray or bucket and soak up a microfiber towel and go in circles around the car until it looks clean and spend more time on dirty spots. Then dry it with more microfiber towels or chamoise and then get wax and put some on applicator pads in small circles in horizontal rows and then wipe the excess off with a microfiber towell (I dont have a buffer).

Is this process better? My dad says his car hasn't got any scratches from the car wash and that washing your far has a higher chance of denting and scratching it on accident.

He can't prove it since the Lexus SUV is 10 years old and has been in a few minor "accidents" invading mostly scratches and maybe getting rear ended once.

Its a new car and my parents are a bunch of assholes and fucktards who never listen to me and make my life miserable. I dont know whether to listen to the internet (Its not like there's any research based on scientific reports) or my parents. I could really fuck up the paint.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
85 Posts
The VRL will work well for those areas mentioned, they are what has the Syntex Leather. The rest is plastic and I would not recommend Armor All, as it leaves residue on your panels

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The VRL will work well for those areas mentioned, they are what has the Syntex Leather. The rest is plastic and I would not recommend Armor All, as it leaves residue on your panels
Ah, then do you know what I should use instead of armorall for the plastics?

·
Registered
205 Posts
There are several products from different mfg's to fit taste and budget.

You want something that's not going to leave residue and has a satin or matte finish. Meguiar's, Mothers, and Chemical Guys are some of the more mentioned and trusted brands.

Take the time to read through / search the threads. There are numerous discussions that walk the dog on all these detailing products.

If you have questions about a specific product post it up because chances are someone here has used it.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
85 Posts
As Andrew said, those brands are reputable. I was going to mention something like an all in one interior, and was going to mention the Chemical Guys Interior Clean and Protect product. $10 on Amazon for a bottle it looks like.

·
Registered
2022 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD Premium
48 Posts
I just got a '22 K5 as well I like to wash and mantain my family's '21 Volvo XC60. The best way I have found to not introduce swirl marks is to follow the following advice: 1) Don't go to automated washes (especially ones that physically touch the car) 2) Don't swipe in circles around the car unless buffing off something.

Since I enjoy taking care of paint, and I have clay bars and a polisher, I ended up doing my own prep and ceramic coating. I like to think of it as a more durable, long lasting wax. Whereas a traditional wax lasts only 1-2 months max, ceramic coatings will last a couple of years. They are a hydrophobic, protective layer, and helps make car washing easier since bugs and grime are not stuck on as much as traditional wax. Also a great benefit of most ceramic coatings is that it can be applied everywhere on the exterior of the car. On windows it acts very similarly to RainX. Takes some time to apply and make sure to not expose to rain for at least a few days, and don't wash with any soaps or chemicals for at least 1 week. Some videos I have found very helpful were from: PanTheOrganizer on YouTube.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
738 Posts
I just got a '22 K5 as well I like to wash and mantain my family's '21 Volvo XC60. The best way I have found to not introduce swirl marks is to follow the following advice: 1) Don't go to automated washes (especially ones that physically touch the car) 2) Don't swipe in circles around the car unless buffing off something.

Since I enjoy taking care of paint, and I have clay bars and a polisher, I ended up doing my own prep and ceramic coating. I like to think of it as a more durable, long lasting wax. Whereas a traditional wax lasts only 1-2 months max, ceramic coatings will last a couple of years. They are a hydrophobic, protective layer, and helps make car washing easier since bugs and grime are not stuck on as much as traditional wax. Also a great benefit of most ceramic coatings is that it can be applied everywhere on the exterior of the car. On windows it acts very similarly to RainX. Takes some time to apply and make sure to not expose to rain for at least a few days, and don't wash with any soaps or chemicals for at least 1 week. Some videos I have found very helpful were from: PanTheOrganizer on YouTube.

Have fun!
I follow AmmoNYC and Larry's pursuit of better understanding detailing techniques, but I recently found PanTheOrganizer myself. lol

They both have some great videos on how to wash and maintain your car. Larry is more technical in the techniques while Pan seems more balanced in what products works best and which to use first and which combination works best for you.

I personally have been using the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions line. They aren't the best of the best but they still work very well for their price. I use Meguiar's Tire Gel for the tire dressing.

For the interior, I use the Invisible Glass window cleaner for the windows, then follow it up with Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant interior cleaner. For the seats, I vacuum the dirt off first then follow it up with Woolite on the fabric and the Meguiar's Rich Leather on the Syntex afterwards.

I would give it an hour or 2 for the products to be absorbed into the tires (unless the product is quick drying) and leather before taking the car out for a drive. Otherwise, the tire dressing will fling onto your car if it's still wet and the leather product will just be wiped off with your pants. lol

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line
40 Posts
@Skypier link to my thread and after-pic after getting my 2021 Kia K5 GT-Line professionally ceramic coated a few weeks ago. Ceramic coating and tint complete

If you use spray ceramic coating and apply yourself, just be careful... too much can have an adverse affect. From what I understand, it is sufficient, but nothing like having it professionally done and guaranteed, if you got a little extra coin laying around. I would not recommend buying the professional's products (like Opti-Coat or CQuartz 2.0) and attempting to do yourself unless you have experience. Just my two cents.

Good luck whatever you do, lots of helpful people around here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello, I have a 2022 K5 EX with Syntex materials and was wondering on how to adequately maintain my car.

I can't ask my parents since they don't know much about cars.

What products are safe for the interior? I heard someone say Mother's VRL (console, seats, wheel) and Armorall original spray for dashboard and doors.

Are these products fine? And if so, what should I use for windows and wiper fluid?

Is waxing and car washing by yourself better than a car wash (or paying someone else)? I assume that you just mix water and car soap in a tray or bucket and soak up a microfiber towel and go in circles around the car until it looks clean and spend more time on dirty spots. Then dry it with more microfiber towels or chamoise and then get wax and put some on applicator pads in small circles in horizontal rows and then wipe the excess off with a microfiber towell (I dont have a buffer).

Is this process better? My dad says his car hasn't got any scratches from the car wash and that washing your far has a higher chance of denting and scratching it on accident.

He can't prove it since the Lexus SUV is 10 years old and has been in a few minor "accidents" invading mostly scratches and maybe getting rear ended once.

Its a new car and my parents are a bunch of assholes and fucktards who never listen to me and make my life miserable. I dont know whether to listen to the internet (Its not like there's any research based on scientific reports) or my parents. I could really fuck up the paint.
Do NOT do circle motions. It leave swirls in the paint. Get a bucket with car wash and water and dunk a washing mit in the bucket with water and soap. I always wipe the mit with my other hand to make sure no rocks or grass are on the mit to scratch. Spray the car with water and then wash the car with the mit. I do sections on my car so there won’t be dried soap on the car and spray off the soap. Then dry with a microfiber towel. Make sure it’s clean. There are interior products that will tell you what they are safe for. Use a microfiber towel for cleaner (I usually use detailer brushes when I am cleaning) and applicator to apply shine. You could use a separate microfiber to apply shine, I just like the applicators.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts