Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

New K5 GT-LINE AWD Premium lessee...

I just wanted to share some pricing info and some general KIA info and experience. Folks, this is the ABSOLUTE WORST time to finance/purchase a vehicle. Quick back note, I have been leasing KIA's for almost 10 years now. I was driving KIA's when people thought they were shit cars. Prior to KIA, I was leasing Toyota's. In equivalent value to price ratio, a KIA was far better priced. I have leased Optima's and Sorento's. Great vehicles and never had any issues with them.

KIA has been grabbing marketshare and while it will be a while before they surpass the likes of Toyota in volume, they have already have surpassed Toyota in reliability ratings. They have rebranded themselves into a "luxury" line and by all accounts, they really do deserve it. KIA's residuals used to sit somewhere around 50% and now they are over 60%. The residual on the K5 is 66%. Higher residual is great, but now they've upped the prices because of it.

My car shopping deal is typically, find the best rebates and incentives, know the invoice and negotiate off of that. I don't "fall in love" with vehicles because that's the bait and the bite. Also, I usually get base trim or 1 above because I'm just looking to have a nice but reliable vehicle with a fair price. This past car buying experience was absolutely horrid and by no choice.

I had a 2018 Optima that was off lease so needless to say, I needed to get a new vehicle. The past 2 weeks, I shopped 5 different manufacturers across 20+ different dealers across PA, NJ, DE. There are no rebates or incentives to be had by any manufacturer right now. In addition, good luck with negotiation processes. EVERY single car regardless of make and model is marked up. You'll see some wild prices. Everywhere from $1,500 to $8,000 over MSRP. This time, I roped myself into a K5 GT-LINE AWD Premium because I was looking at overpaying no matter what so I really got picky this time around.

This is the Wild Wild West right now in the car market. Dealers not posting prices on websites, not giving any sort of pricing over the phone, hooking you into the location to all of the sudden no cars getting being there when you show up and then suddenly appearing an hour later, but all of the sudden the market has changed and the price has gone up. It's shady as hell right now and extremely deceptive. It literally came to a screaming match to just get the vehicle at MSRP and the crazy part is, it was actually a fair deal. I refused to pay markup on top of markup because this is a BS market. I don't buy any shortages. This is pull inflation at it's finest. We have been leading up to this for quite some time and it has finally hit the car market.

On the plus side (like the housing market), now is a GREAT time to sell your used vehicle. The residual on my 2018 Optima was $12,500. Dealers didn't want to give me a fair trade price. I sold the Optima privately for $17,500 to a wholesaler. But, just like the housing market you get a great sale price and then by NEED, you have to overpay for your next house. Needless to say, it's also a worse time to buy used.

I know it was a long post but I just wanted to well inform other potential buyers of pricing on these vehicles in my particular area. I am extremely happy with the K5 so far. I wish luck to any shoppers because getting a car now is a grind. I am used to getting $3-$5,000 in incentives which drastically lowers the price of the new vehicle. They are non-existent now.

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line Wolf Grey
48 Posts
Great post. Very accurate in the northeast right now. There’s a lot of dreamers out there shopping right now thinking they’re going to find a great deal. It’s just not gonna happen for a long time. Anyone who tells you they paid way under sticker right now is absolutely lying to you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That’s sad to hear. I live in Texas and just bought my 22 GT line at sticker but there were no incentives other than free window tint.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
70 Posts
That’s sad to hear. I live in Texas and just bought my 22 GT line at sticker but there were no incentives other than free window tint.
I'm on Ohio and I had the same experience. I paid sticker, plus a few dealer extras. No rebate, no incentives.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
168 Posts
It's hard enough getting a dealer to give you a deal on the newest model year when they 1st come out, but now it is impossible.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
70 Posts
Yeah, I was in a NEED situation, being my only car and not having one at the time. At least my extras were ones that I opted for

1 - 6 of 6 Posts