Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see this posted anywhere - as far as i know, there is no available auxiliary input at any trim level. To the best of my knowledge, we are stuck using USB DAC through Android Auto/Apple Carplay or bluetooth as an external source. Was a bit disappointed to see that but I hope there is a fix...

Has anyone pulled apart the head unit to add an aux input?

I plan on changing the stock speakers to Infinity Reference 6532ix as well as add some sound deadening material to my doors soon. Ideally I would like to be able to use wired audio (running LG V60 as my DAP) instead of USB. If anyone has any pointers, I would greatly appreciate some help! Cheers

Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
I think most if not all cars have moved on from using AUX ports for audio now. Might have to settle with an external USB DAC for now until someone comes up with some solution to add an AUX port without soldering. Or maybe perhaps the factory head unit already has an unused AUX connection... I don't think anyone has taken it apart to find out just yet. 馃槄

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think most if not all cars have moved on from using AUX ports for audio now. Might have to settle with an external USB DAC for now until someone comes up with some solution to add an AUX port without soldering. Or maybe perhaps the factory head unit already has an unused AUX connection... I don't think anyone has taken it apart to find out just yet. 馃槄
That's what I'm thinking too, I would hope there is an unused connection. I just don't like having to go through Android Auto if i can help it. It's fine for most situations but using USB connection also charges the phone which is bad for the battery if it's already charged. Also it automatically enables bluetooth which means I have to turn it off when I'm done driving. I'm picky lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Technology keeps changing and carmakers are taking advantage of it. I love my wireless Apple Car Play. No need for an AUX cord when you can go wireless.
For most people it's fine. Bluetooth is lossy in terms of compressing audio files so I tend to avoid it. The stock head unit isn't compatible with AptX (less compression over Bluetooth on Android). USB isn't lossy but like I said above I'm forced to go through Android Auto which I don't always need.

Luckily I found Poweramp Equalizer (different than just plain Poweramp!!!) in the app store for you Android users out there. This will allow for EQ usage system wide even through USB. Some other equalizer apps don't support processing over USB. Will work with Spotify/YouTube etc

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beeftips thank you so much, the stock EQ in the car is fine but I would love to fine tune a little more.
Sure hope it works for you! My phone also allows up to 32 bands with this setting (see attached). Super fine tuning.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts