Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a small/mid-size vehicle that has some style, driving tech, and a decent powertrain. Budget is around $30-32K. I also need an AWD vehicle to help my commute during Michigan winters. I thought I'd have to resort to a smaller mainstream SUV/XUV/CUV like a Rav 4, CRV, Equinox, Sportage, Escape, or Mazda CX-30. Didn't realize that Kia offered their K5 lineup in AWD until yesterday. So I went and test drove one (even though it was a lower trim model) and liked it.

Unfortunately, inventories are extremely low, especially with higher end trim AWD models. After calling almost every dealer in a 200 mile radius of my location, I finally found a dealer who had the color/package combo I wanted and who didn't add $3-5000 to the sticker for a "market adjustment". The car was just unloaded from the vehicle transporter 1 hour before I called on it. Told the salesman at that dealer I would be there within the hour. Got to the dealership, sat in the car (PDI wasn't completed yet), and told him I would buy it. At the same time, a couple walked around the car and had some serious interest in it. It's unbelievable how quick these cars are selling.

I just wanted to get some opinions from current owners on the K5 with 1.6L turbo and 8 speed transmission. Are you happy with it? Issues? Regrets? Lingering buyer's remorse? I really want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly before I take delivery next week.

·
Registered
2022 K5 Gt-Line Premium AWD
53 Posts
Just bought one for a commuter and I have been pleasantly surprised with the vehicle. Drives really smooth , spacious for adults, massive trunk, great styling, etc. It could use more power but it's smooth enough it feels quick most the time.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
I have a 2021 Sapphire Blue GT-Line AWD with the 8.5" inch screen with the wireless AA and have been very happy with it. It lacks the NSCC-Curve with Navigation that the 10.25" screen has but I'm satisfied with the wireless AA in it's place.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT-Line FWD
15 Posts
I can tell you the FWD GT-Line can hardly pull out on dry summer pavement with any throttle, so don't skimp on the AWD.

Same scenario. We found one, went to buy it, it was sold within the hour it took us to get there. Went to get another one, and it was sold. Finally settled for the FWD because one was available, just called them and told them to write them up. Went to pay cash, and salesman informed me that Kia had a $750 rebate if you financed through them, so just did that and paid it off (and gave them the $750 back in accessory orders that should have been factory items on the car). Homelink mirror, splash guards, cargo net, floor liners, cargo hook, etc.

Take a look at the packages. There apparently is a winter package on the AWD car that has the heated seats/wheel and most of the above included. That homelink mirror install wasn't for the faint of heart. Cutting trim, removing the fuse box, splicing harnesses (all per the OEM install instructions).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can tell you the FWD GT-Line can hardly pull out on dry summer pavement with any throttle, so don't skimp on the AWD.

Same scenario. We found one, went to buy it, it was sold within the hour it took us to get there. Went to get another one, and it was sold. Finally settled for the FWD because one was available, just called them and told them to write them up. Went to pay cash, and salesman informed me that Kia had a $750 rebate if you financed through them, so just did that and paid it off (and gave them the $750 back in accessory orders that should have been factory items on the car). Homelink mirror, splash guards, cargo net, floor liners, cargo hook, etc.

Take a look at the packages. There apparently is a winter package on the AWD car that has the heated seats/wheel and most of the above included. That homelink mirror install wasn't for the faint of heart. Cutting trim, removing the fuse box, splicing harnesses (all per the OEM install instructions).
The demand for these AWD sedans is crazy. Didn't realize that until I was shopping for one.
The "Premium" package on the one I'm buying is includes a headed steering wheel, full LED headlights and interior lights, panoramic sunroof, and Navi smart cruise and Highway driving assist. These last two options are two of the reasons I'm going with a Kia product. The "driving assist" features are far superior to what most automotive manufacturers are using in competitive vehicles (outside of Tesla's Self Driving system and GM's Super Cruise). Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Chevy, GMC, VW, Ford and Nissan...none are as refined and functional as offered in the Kia/Hyundai lineups. And I've driven all of them in the last couple of months.

One option I did want was the Homelink Autodimming mirror. Did you install the Homelink mirror yourself? I found an OEM homelink/dimming mirror online for $250 and am considering it. Haven't found any installation videos on it. Would like to install a dash cam at the same time to consolidate the labor.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT-Line FWD
15 Posts
The demand for these AWD sedans is crazy. Didn't realize that until I was shopping for one.
The "Premium" package on the one I'm buying is includes a headed steering wheel, full LED headlights and interior lights, panoramic sunroof, and Navi smart cruise and Highway driving assist. These last two options are two of the reasons I'm going with a Kia product. The "driving assist" features are far superior to what most automotive manufacturers are using in competitive vehicles (outside of Tesla's Self Driving system and GM's Super Cruise). Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Chevy, GMC, VW, Ford and Nissan...none are as refined and functional as offered in the Kia/Hyundai lineups. And I've driven all of them in the last couple of months.

One option I did want was the Homelink Autodimming mirror. Did you install the Homelink mirror yourself? I found an OEM homelink/dimming mirror online for $250 and am considering it. Haven't found any installation videos on it. Would like to install a dash cam at the same time to consolidate the labor.
I did. It made zero sense. They already have wiring up there for the lane-keeping sensor. Power. Data - everything is there. But, they don't pull an extra harness for a mirror option. The instructions (included from Kia in hardcopy) have you remove the Pillar cover (you have to cut an airbag tether that keeps it from using the cover as a projectile I'm guessing) but they give you a new one to reinstall. Just don't cut the airbag, or set off the shotgun round inside it, lol. The mirror add/remove is easy enough, but you have the fish the wire under the headliner, through channels on the pillar behind the airbag, disassemble the lower dashboard completely, remove the fuse box and drop it, fish the wire down and carefully splice into the correct wires on the back of the fuse box. I've been installing stereos/lights/wiring for the better part of 30 years, and there were some "Yeah, I don't like doing that when I'm adding aftermarket stuff" moments to this OEM piece. Still once installed, it's all good. The buttons feel nice, it works like homelink has always worked, and the icons are illuminated behind the mirror glass and invisible otherwise.

The splash guards were easy to install, as was the cargo net. The little cargo hook thing for grocery bags though - they want you to drill, tap, extrude, rivet in some grommets to the rear deck. Its crazy. I just found a block of plastic, cut it down to size and drilled holes for the receiving grommets. It's in there like a rock, looks OE, and works just fine without hacking up the car interior.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
97 Posts
I specifically bought mine for commuting and dealing with the winters here in Ohio, and the only issues I've had are the adaptive speed cruise control settings not allowing us to turn them off like our manual says we can. Sometimes the radio gets overwhelmed and can cause the rearview camera to not show correctly until the car has been off and went to sleep.

Other than that, it's great on gas, I love the extra Premium options, and I couldn't be happier that I got the GT Line AWD, as I initially went in that day to buy the LXS AWD. No regrets.

·
Registered
2022 K5 Gt-Line Premium AWD
53 Posts

Yeah I'm in CA and don't need AWD but the car I was looking at was AWD Wolf Grey GT-Line and I'm glad I have the AWD. My previous commuter was a FWD Mazda 3 and while fine, I prefer RWD in my cars because I grew up with muscle cars. This is no muscle car but the AWD layout is more enjoyable for me to drive especially through the twistees... Wish it had a LSD and torque vectoring.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
I had the dealer add the Homelink with installation after I had already finalized the price. It helped that there was an exact K5 as theirs but with Homelink at another dealer for around the same price and haggle it in with them also including the installation free of charge.

After I got the car, they got the mirror ordered. When they got it in, they notified me and they got it installed in a few hours.

All the non-electrical accessories I figured would be trivial to put in the car so I opted to bug them for just the Homelink and have them include it with my purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I did. It made zero sense. They already have wiring up there for the lane-keeping sensor. Power. Data - everything is there. But, they don't pull an extra harness for a mirror option. The instructions (included from Kia in hardcopy) have you remove the Pillar cover (you have to cut an airbag tether that keeps it from using the cover as a projectile I'm guessing) but they give you a new one to reinstall. Just don't cut the airbag, or set off the shotgun round inside it, lol. The mirror add/remove is easy enough, but you have the fish the wire under the headliner, through channels on the pillar behind the airbag, disassemble the lower dashboard completely, remove the fuse box and drop it, fish the wire down and carefully splice into the correct wires on the back of the fuse box. I've been installing stereos/lights/wiring for the better part of 30 years, and there were some "Yeah, I don't like doing that when I'm adding aftermarket stuff" moments to this OEM piece. Still once installed, it's all good. The buttons feel nice, it works like homelink has always worked, and the icons are illuminated behind the mirror glass and invisible otherwise.

The splash guards were easy to install, as was the cargo net. The little cargo hook thing for grocery bags though - they want you to drill, tap, extrude, rivet in some grommets to the rear deck. Its crazy. I just found a block of plastic, cut it down to size and drilled holes for the receiving grommets. It's in there like a rock, looks OE, and works just fine without hacking up the car interior.
@busterbrown
So the dealership just informed me they can’t install the dimming homelink mirror due to the uvo system in my 2022 K5 gt-line but I read one of your posts stating you had done the install. What options would you suggest to have this installed?

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
@busterbrown
So the dealership just informed me they can’t install the dimming homelink mirror due to the uvo system in my 2022 K5 gt-line but I read one of your posts stating you had done the install. What options would you suggest to have this installed?
Did you get the one with the 10.25" screen? I ask because my car with the 8.5" screen originally didn't come with the auto-dimming mirror, but I got the dealer to include it with my purchase and they installed it without issue when the part came in for it so it weird they cite UVO being a hurdle. All the mirror really needs is power to tap into. The auto-dimming sensor is on the mirror itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you get the one with the 10.25" screen? I ask because my car with the 8.5" screen originally didn't come with the auto-dimming mirror, but I got the dealer to include it with my purchase and they installed it without issue when the part came in for it so it weird they cite UVO being a hurdle. All the mirror really needs is power to tap into. The auto-dimming sensor is on the mirror itself.
10.25, it came with a standard non-dimmable mirror. Therefore the power line is not present behind the mirror.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
10.25, it came with a standard non-dimmable mirror. Therefore the power line is not present behind the mirror.
That shouldn't be a problem to install the mirror. As mentioned, mine came with the standard non-dimmable mirror, too. They were still able to install the mirror after the fact. I guess your dealer probably wasn't comfortable with doing "aftermarket" work. My Kia dealer also does aftermarket mods to purchased cars, like adding HKS blow off valves and other car mods to the Kia Stinger.

They were also willing to install oil catch cans to my car with the warranty intact. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
That shouldn't be a problem to install the mirror. As mentioned, mine came with the standard non-dimmable mirror, too. They were still able to install the mirror after the fact. I guess your dealer probably wasn't comfortable with doing "aftermarket" work. My Kia dealer also does aftermarket mods to purchased cars, like adding HKS blow off valves and other car mods to the Kia Stinger.

They were also willing to install oil catch cans to my car with the warranty intact. lol
thats insane haha. I’m here in the panhandle near destin. But I also lease so that could be a factor. I’m still going to contact them further to push for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts