Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else with wolf gray getting a crazy amount of paint chips? I have 10-20 chips from small into the clear coat to one bigger than a dime all the way through the paint. Only have 3500 miles and never get within 100 feet of the car in front of me on the highway. Have never heard any rocks hit either

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a white K5 GT but I’m definitely noticing more paint chips than usual. I also try to stay a good distance back from cars on the road to avoid rocks. I’m thinking Kias paint is just really thin and soft. I’m going to get some Dr. color chip for touch ups, I’ve used it in the past with great results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dont have the grey but I can tell you the red paint is as fragile. Starting to realize that this car is quite delicate. Had a 2018 mazda6 that I bought new a few years ago and don’t remember it being this soft.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX AWD
22 Posts
I have a white EX and i put on a ceramic coating to protect it. My wife has a forte EX+ with only 700km and it has 2 paint chips already. I think that maybe all the new KIAs have all the same problem with the paint job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a white EX and i put on a ceramic coating to protect it. My wife has a forte EX+ with only 700km and it has 2 paint chips already. I think that maybe all the new KIAs have all the same problem with the paint job.
Unfortunately ceramic coating won’t protect against rock chips, only paint protection film will do that and even that isn’t perfect. So far the paint has been my only disappointment with this car.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX AWD
22 Posts
Unfortunately ceramic coating won’t protect against rock chips, only paint protection film will do that and even that isn’t perfect. So far the paint has been my only disappointment with this car.
I have ppf on hood, full front bumper, fenders, headlights and mirrors with ceramic coating on top. Not taking any chances...lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is anyone else with wolf gray getting a crazy amount of paint chips? I have 10-20 chips from small into the clear coat to one bigger than a dime all the way through the paint. Only have 3500 miles and never get within 100 feet of the car in front of me on the highway. Have never heard any rocks hit either
Yes! I was worried I was driving too crazy... even though I do not. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, 6 months old, 3000k miles, the amount of paint chips is insaaaane.

I'm about to buy the paint touch up fromm the dealer bc it's so bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a white K5 GT but I’m definitely noticing more paint chips than usual. I also try to stay a good distance back from cars on the road to avoid rocks. I’m thinking Kias paint is just really thin and soft. I’m going to get some Dr. color chip for touch ups, I’ve used it in the past with great results.
I had mine ppe on hood, fenders, headlights and front bumper.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, 6 months old, 3000k miles, the amount of paint chips is insaaaane.

I'm about to buy the paint touch up fromm the dealer bc it's so bad.
So I was at the body shop today -- rear ended while parked waiting on a train to pass, lady claims that she didn't see me or the 12 other cars lined up or the train... Anyway, weather BS or not the tech said that was a waste because of the paint process KIA uses. Though I'm totally thinking about doing an 'AMMO NYC' touch up with some paint and a needle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 17500 miles, bought in March. Yes I drive a lot. Absolutely no chips at all (Sapphire Blue). Before this i had a 2013 Malibu, 250000 miles, no chips and 1 door ding. The Chevy paint was very good. I hope the KIA paint holds up as well

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
Weird, I know the Stinger had paint issues. Ended up getting them resolved by providing a respray for the car. The blue on the Stinger was notorious for the paint chipping off.

Fast forward to now, I feel like I haven't had much in the way of paint issues for the Sapphire Blue paint other than the bumper where another driver kissed it while backing out of a space across from my car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine has been chipping significantly! I have not hit anything or anyone. The chipping seems to be getting bigger
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
197 Posts
Mine has been chipping significantly! I have not hit anything or anyone. The chipping seems to be getting bigger View attachment 1848 View attachment 1849
I had aspot on the lower part of the bumper on my Optima just like the one on the bottom photo. I assumed I rubed up against something. Now I see that it just chipped off on it's own. That's crazy! I hope the blue on my K5 doesn't do the same.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
197 Posts
That bottom photo definitely looks like a scuff. If you didn’t do it someone else almost certainly did in with their vehicle.
Now I'm not that sure. I don't remember hitting anything either, and mine looked very similar to that. I assumed it was my fault, but I did not know about this paint issue.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
Mine has been chipping significantly! I have not hit anything or anyone. The chipping seems to be getting bigger View attachment 1848 View attachment 1849
Those 2 paint chip spots looks like it lines up with each other. Was there any damage to the paint prior to the chipping getting that bad? Maybe a stray rock hit those 2 areas while on the road somewhere and started from there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts