Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,397 Posts
This is what a PCV Valve unit looks like. My 1.6T has something like that at the top where the known PCV valve goes into. The 2.5T engine should have something that looks similar on the top on the driver's side. It has that distinctive consecutive circle cover on it and a valve that feeds the air back into the intake near the turbo in the back. You will have to pull the engine cover off first in order to spot it.
Font Auto part Machine Automotive wheel system Bicycle part
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Vehicle
Font Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Automotive window part

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
155 Posts
This is what a PCV Valve unit looks like. My 1.6T has something like that at the top where the known PCV valve goes into. The 2.5T engine should have something that looks similar on the top on the driver's side. It has that distinctive consecutive circle cover on it and a valve that feeds the air back into the intake near the turbo in the back. You will have to pull the engine cover off first in order to spot it.
View attachment 4110 View attachment 4111 View attachment 4112
That thing looks like an attempt to remove oil from the PCV flow...I hope that is what that is.

Nothing like that on my 2.5L - I looked it over the best I could (cover off) and could not find a PCV valve/hose. There is a CCV hose on the backside of the valve cover going to the intake tube.

· Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,397 Posts
I'll be honest, I don't know what the 2.5T engine looks like without the engine cover and I couldn't find any on the internet either. lol The closest thing was that pic I got from one of the Kia parts online stores.

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
155 Posts
There is a circular device on the valve cover of the 2.5 but it is not removable. Only a single hose comes off the back of the valve cover to the intake tube near the turbocharger.

I have searched for a hose entering the Intake Manifold (normal location for a PCV hose) and can't find one. There is a hose from the side of the block to the RCV Tube (wonder what that one is for).

A search for "PCV VALVE" on Kia parts sites only comes up for the 1.6 engine - no PCV valve listing for the 2.5 engine. I'm beginning to think this engine might have what Chevy/Saab did - the PCV system is a metered hole from the head into the intake manifold. If it is, there is no way to install a catch can to reduce the amount of oil being ingested.

· Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,397 Posts
Yeah, upon closer inspdection of the image above, it looks like the PCV valve feeds directly into the intake manifold. The 2.5T engine is an MPI engine anyway, so it injects fuel from behind the intake valves at low RPM then direct injection takes over at a higher RPM. Because of this, an oil catch can is not really needed for the 2.5T engine.

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
155 Posts
That's why I havents installed one. But I think we can still benefit from one just to catch the blow by.
If I could install a catch can I would. Even though I know the 2.5 uses MPI to help keep the valves clean - I installed a catch can in my Forte GT 1.6T and it catches enough oil in 300 miles to make me a believer in a catch can!!! I would rather that oil NOT make it to the valves to begin with. My 1.6T engine does not have any idle or driving issues with the catch can installed.

I've also rebuilt enough engines to know that the intake valves still get "carboned up" and need cleaning - if you are picky like me...:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts