Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today after work, I plugged in my iPhone and set it in the charger compartment. After 10 minutes in the slot, the hot iPhone warning came on saying the iPhone needs to cool down. I removed the phone to cool down and felt inside the compartment. It was like a oven in there. Just a heads up, allow the car to cool before inserting your phone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, this is indeed a weird compartment that needs more features. Using the wireless charging, the vent opens to allow for airflow to avoid this situation.

My phone doesn't allow wireless charging, so it sits in there and bakes. Seems like that vent should be allowed to be controlled for those of us that can't use wireless charging but like the convenience of the holster.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
391 Posts
I've been wondering how the vent works myself... Otherwise, you can take the phone slot adapter out and just use the charger without it. It takes a bit of tugging initially but it should pull right out. Here are some pics of the slot piece and the clips it uses to hold it into place.
20210708_120613.jpg 20210708_120631.jpg

Don't mind the two-tone colors... It's from me wiping the inside with interior cleaner without taking the piece out. lol

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
120 Posts
I wonder how that vent works. Is it controlled by the fan speed for the regular climate control or does it have it's own fan? Is it just venting whatever the air temp in the car is set to? In the winter will it be pumping hot air on the phone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been wondering how the vent works myself... Otherwise, you can take the phone slot adapter out and just use the charger without it. It takes a bit of tugging initially but it should pull right out. Here are some pics of the slot piece and the clips it uses to hold it into place.
View attachment 1234 View attachment 1235

Don't mind the two-tone colors... It's from me wiping the inside with interior cleaner without taking the piece out. lol
So your saying with the car running is gets air flow, makes sense.. I like the convenience of using it for phone holder. I have the bigger screen, so I have to be wired for Apple car play.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
391 Posts
I wonder how that vent works. Is it controlled by the fan speed for the regular climate control or does it have it's own fan? Is it just venting whatever the air temp in the car is set to? In the winter will it be pumping hot air on the phone?
Someone took the wireless charger out before. It actually has a small little Delta fan just behind the vent ports. It doesn't really run at a high speed so it can stay quiet. I still wonder how useful it is... lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it charges my phone good, if it doesn’t that’s ok. I really like the convenience of having the phone tucked away and easily accessible instead of having it under my ac controls.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, this is indeed a weird compartment that needs more features. Using the wireless charging, the vent opens to allow for airflow to avoid this situation.

My phone doesn't allow wireless charging, so it sits in there and bakes. Seems like that vent should be allowed to be controlled for those of us that can't use wireless charging but like the convenience of the holster.
You can shut the wireless charging off in the settings. The wireless charging in my experience is whats making my phone hot. I turned it off and now i just use it to hold my phone with no problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Today after work, I plugged in my iPhone and set it in the charger compartment. After 10 minutes in the slot, the hot iPhone warning came on saying the iPhone needs to cool down. I removed the phone to cool down and felt inside the compartment. It was like a oven in there. Just a heads up, allow the car to cool before inserting your phone.
The wireless charging in my experience is whats making my iphone hot. I turned it off and now i just use it to hold my phone with no problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts