Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 GT-Line with sunroof. My driveway is up a slight hill and whenever I back out of my driveway I get a pop/knock sound coming from behind me and occasionally the next turn I make after this happens it will pop/knock again. Haven't pinpointed yet if it might be the rear glass of sunroof, something to do with trunk, the "hat rack" area next to rear glass, or somewhere else, but defintely sounds like coming from behind driver. There are also bars inside the trunk along the inner/upper portion of trunk area (not trunk lid) that I thought could be moving around, but they all seem to be secured pretty tight. Anybody experienced this yet? 1500 miles on car and only issue with car so far.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Is it coming from somewhere along the roof of the car? Check around the exterior and see if there's anything that might look like it is loose. Maybe also double check the rear seats to see if they have been pushed back and locked into place, too. They took me quite a bit of force to lock back after I had pulled them down once before.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 2022 GT-Line with sunroof. My driveway is up a slight hill and whenever I back out of my driveway I get a pop/knock sound coming from behind me and occasionally the next turn I make after this happens it will pop/knock again. Haven't pinpointed yet if it might be the rear glass of sunroof, something to do with trunk, the "hat rack" area next to rear glass, or somewhere else, but defintely sounds like coming from behind driver. There are also bars inside the trunk along the inner/upper portion of trunk area (not trunk lid) that I thought could be moving around, but they all seem to be secured pretty tight. Anybody experienced this yet? 1500 miles on car and only issue with car so far.
AWD?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it coming from somewhere along the roof of the car? Check around the exterior and see if there's anything that might look like it is loose. Maybe also double check the rear seats to see if they have been pushed back and locked into place, too. They took me quite a bit of force to lock back after I had pulled them down once before.
Will check this. Never let seats down but doesn't mean somebody at dealership didn't.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well that rules out tranaxle/rear drive...

So people with lines have talked about stress cracks with the glass, but that is usually up front in the windshield.

Given your username can I assume you are in the SE. Is it only happening when the car is hot from being in direct sunlight?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that rules out tranaxle/rear drive...

So people with lines have talked about stress cracks with the glass, but that is usually up front in the windshield.

Given your username can I assume you are in the SE. Is it only happening when the car is hot from being in direct sunlight?
Stays parked in garage, so car is typically cool when backing out of garage. But yes I'm in Alabama and only had car for about 3 weeks now.

Other suggestion of check rear seats was a no go as they were latched in place as they should be.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
I'm getting in the habit of turning on Parking brakes after putting the shifter into Park. It's what's recommended to do when parking the car, and also stated deep in the manual. Doing so also allows for a smoother shift into D. The Parking brakes is automatically turned off as soon as you shift out of P.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure what you are referring to about using parking brake. Car is parked on garage on level space.

Popping I now believe it's coming from sunroof when car must be flexing when pulling out of sloped driveway onto flat surface.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Oh, there were some people that had mentioned of a popping sound from shifting into gear from P when parked on a sloped driveway. Why this happens is usually because when you shift into P, the car physically locks the axle and so when you let go of the brake pedal, the car settles into the lock. Engaging the Parking Brake after shifting into P is a recommended habit and suppose to provide a smoother shift into gear from P.

But yes, what you're explaining seems like something other than the transmission. Although, I can't say I experience the popping sound coming from my panoramic sun roof when transitioning from my sloped driveway to the leveled road. It could be that the sun roof might need to be re-adjusted. If you take it to the dealer and let them know, they should be able to do it for you under warranty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm getting in the habit of turning on Parking brakes after putting the shifter into Park. It's what's recommended to do when parking the car, and also stated deep in the manual. Doing so also allows for a smoother shift into D. The Parking brakes is automatically turned off as soon as you shift out of P.
We too have a sloped driveway. Coming from years of manual cars, my method is as follows.

1) After coming to a complete stop, with foot still on brake, shift trans to N
2) set parking brake, remove foot from brake, allow car to settle
3) shift to P

This way there is absolutely no load on the parking pawl in the trans while parked.

When departing, keep foot on brake, release parking brake (may be automatic based on above post), shift into D (I always back into our garage) and go.

Re sunroof noise, is there any noises or rattles from that area when driving on bumpy roads?

Could also be something suspension related. Years ago I had replaced shocks in a car. One of the rear shocks was sticking. It manifested itself as a clicking noise when weight shifted one way or another.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
434 Posts
We too have a sloped driveway. Coming from years of manual cars, my method is as follows.

1) After coming to a complete stop, with foot still on brake, shift trans to N
2) set parking brake, remove foot from brake, allow car to settle
3) shift to P

This way there is absolutely no load on the parking pawl in the trans while parked.

When departing, keep foot on brake, release parking brake (may be automatic based on above post), shift into D (I always back into our garage) and go.

Re sunroof noise, is there any noises or rattles from that area when driving on bumpy roads?

Could also be something suspension related. Years ago I had replaced shocks in a car. One of the rear shocks was sticking. It manifested itself as a clicking noise when weight shifted one way or another.
I do the same when parking my car. Neutral, let go the brake to allow the car roll à bit, e brake then P.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update. Car has been at dealership for 2 weeks. They ARE able to reproduce my complaint. They can not figure out how to fix popping sound. They opened a ticket with Kia tech line 3 days ago. This morning the service manager sent me a text stating the tech line told them that some K5's have experienced this and it is due to a MISSING WELD. Car is being sent to local bodyshop to have this weld performed. If they miss welding 2 pieces of metal together what else could have been missed? And should this be a safety concern due to their negligence? He didn't say if it is just cars with a sunroof or not that this has happened to. So if you start hearing a popping sound that is one place to have them check, but mine has done it since day one. To answer question about happening on bumpy roads, no it is usually just pulling into and out of sloped areas such as my driveway that is uphill from main road.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Update. Car has been at dealership for 2 weeks. They ARE able to reproduce my complaint. They can not figure out how to fix popping sound. They opened a ticket with Kia tech line 3 days ago. This morning the service manager sent me a text stating the tech line told them that some K5's have experienced this and it is due to a MISSING WELD. Car is being sent to local bodyshop to have this weld performed. If they miss welding 2 pieces of metal together what else could have been missed? And should this be a safety concern due to their negligence? He didn't say if it is just cars with a sunroof or not that this has happened to. So if you start hearing a popping sound that is one place to have them check, but mine has done it since day one. To answer question about happening on bumpy roads, no it is usually just pulling into and out of sloped areas such as my driveway that is uphill from main road.
Probably why all these other people are having stress cracks in their windshields...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts