Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '21 EX with the EX premium option and can no longer say voice commands through the radio. When trying, a line on the top or radio says "Preparing Voice Recognition . . Please Wait". Started after vehicle was in for normal service with 5000 miles on odometer. Also, after manually setting a destination, there is no voice guidance, I have to follow map on radio. Kia states there is a software update (not available untin 11/30) and I have to try that first. Brought to the dealer, Bald Hill Kia my first mistake, and service manager and advisor tried resetting unit and checking settings. Vehicle was never brought to a tech. Is it possible an update not done has stopped unit from working? I believe it is a bad radio, but Kia and dealership will not order nor replace until update has been done. Just does not make any sense to me.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX
31 Posts
I had that problem. UVO wouldn't respond, NAV wouldn't give voice directions, it wouldn't accept voice input, etc. The other strange thing is the USB port wouldn't play MP3s anymore either. When you hit the "talk" button on the steering wheel, it just sat there "preparing voice recognition". The dealer had my car for exactly a month and replaced the radio/head unit. Frustrating for a new car. Strange thing is I think they used a refurb radio from a different vehicle. This one functions a bit differently and it has HD radio...the old one didn't. Good luck!
Audio equipment Font Drink Gas Technology

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Paul, Been like this for about 4 weeks. Spent 3 1/2 at dealership yesterday and the FINALLY admited the radio was bad and would order another. Reman unit ordered, not exactly happy about reman, on back-order, and no idea when it will be it. Called Kia Connect, spoke with a supervisor named ALI, and he is going to expedite the unit. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your reply.

I had that problem. UVO wouldn't respond, NAV wouldn't give voice directions, it wouldn't accept voice input, etc. The other strange thing is the USB port wouldn't play MP3s anymore either. When you hit the "talk" button on the steering wheel, it just sat there "preparing voice recognition". The dealer had my car for exactly a month and replaced the radio/head unit. Frustrating for a new car. Strange thing is I think they used a refurb radio from a different vehicle. This one functions a bit differently and it has HD radio...the old one didn't. Good luck! View attachment 2389

1 - 3 of 3 Posts