Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I read the owners manual before I put my first tank of gas in the car, and it states the 1.6t is designed to run on 87 unleaded and that's where they get their power numbers from. It also states that you should not use fuel additives.

Then I'm on the Kia UVO app, looking at the notification that tells me I just locked my own car 🙄😄 and I decided to roam the maintenance category. The app lists first maintenance at 16,000 miles, However... It states that the vehicle is supposed to run higher octane rated fuel and that if you use poor quality fuel and then experience issues, to add fuel additives as cleaners?

What gives? Is it safe to assume the app is showing me what the dealer is recommending? (It knows the local dealer and has it in the app as my preferred place to have service done) I feel like I can and should always trust the actual vehicle owners manual.

Thanks for helping me overthink this! I'm curious 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I came across the same thing when I first got my car. And from what I get from the manual is that the car is meant to use 87 or higher and for it to be TOP TIER fuel. TOP TIER gasoline is kind of like a brand of gasoline. If you go to their website it will show you a list and a map of your local gas stations who carry it or you can check at the pump by looking for the logo. Its just gasoline with detergents to keep your fuel system and cylinders clean. On the fuel additive section, it says to use additives if top tier fuel is not available in your area to kind of have the same effect. I would just ignore the uvo app and stick with the manual. And if you do have top tier fuel available in your area just use that and dont worry about additives. I use to work for mini cooper as a tech and we would always tell people to look and fill up at stations that carry top tier fuel. I think a lot of people don’t realize TOP TIER is a name and not just a term.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the extra info, I did see a lot of people discussing fuel types in the mpg thread and they seemed to say similar things. I'll check the maps for my city and near where I work too. I'm usually considering price over location, with the stations I've filled up in before, but that can change easily enough

1 - 3 of 3 Posts