Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2021 Kia K5 EX with the premium package. I have the remote start on the key fob and I understand that you must first click the lock button
( and the amber running lights blink) and then within 4 seconds press the remote start button on the key fob to start your engine, car will run for 10 minutes and then shut off. My question is:
Why, after the remote start button is depressed, the amber driving lights blink a couple of times and go out. Why don't the amber running lights remain ON
so when you check from your house window or where ever, you can see if the engine is still running or not. With no running lights on you do not know if
the engine is running or not and if you should restart it! All my other cars that had a remote start in it, including older KIAS, the running lights would remain on while the engine is running, letting you know that the interior will be nice and warm when you go out and into your car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I understand what your saying but I like it this way. I park in a garage at work and remote start the car. You can't tell it's running at all which I think is the point, so for me not knowing the car is running is good because it doesn't signal to anyone 'steal me I'm on'. On my GT-Line I get 30mins before it turns off, I do think that you can set that in the menus.

Also if you forget within 10min of starting your car remotely that you remote started your car, you might have a problem ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand what your saying but I like it this way. I park in a garage at work and remote start the car. You can't tell it's running at all which I think is the point, so for me not knowing the car is running is good because it doesn't signal to anyone 'steal me I'm on'. On my GT-Line I get 30mins before it turns off, I do think that you can set that in the menus.

Also if you forget within 10min of starting your car remotely that you remote started your car, you might have a problem ;)
Steal me I'M on doesn't work, the car is locked and should they break in and put it in drive the car will shut off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The EX has the same 30 minutes before it shuts off, it counts down right on the front cluster panel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I totally agree with the lights being on, every other car I owned had the lights come on during remote start and it made it easy to take a quick peek out the window to see if it was still running. I can see where this will become more of an issue for me in the dead of Winter when I’ll need to keep sticking my head out to hear if it’s still running. Minor annoyance for sure, just wondering why they decided to do it this way with no option to change.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totally with the lights being on, every other car I owned had the lights come on during remote start and it made it easy to take a quick peek out the window to see if it was still running. I can see where this will become more of an issue for me in the dead of Winter when I’ll need to keep sticking my head out to hear if it’s still running. Minor annoyance for sure, just wondering why they decided to do it this way with no option to change.
I could not have said it better.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The car is locked and should they break in and put it in drive the car will shut off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Never had a car with remote start before, but since they’ve updated their app to support the Apple Watch, my experience couldn’t be more different. :) I’d never have to look at the lights to see if it’s running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's fine if you got a cell phone by your side
Absolutely, or a watch on your wrist. I was just posting a bit of my thought process thinking “Yeah, having the lights on WOULD be cool” but then realizing I’ve got multiple ways to find out if my car is still on. For any folks with a habit of keeping their phones on them, could be worth looking into if that would work for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Absolutely, or a watch on your wrist. I was just posting a bit of my thought process thinking “Yeah, having the lights on WOULD be cool” but then realizing I’ve got multiple ways to find out if my car is still on. For any folks with a habit of keeping their phones on them, could be worth looking into if that would work for them.
Oh, AND the phone and watch ONLY works if you subscribe to UVO. If you don’t, yeah, the fob’s your only way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, AND the phone and watch ONLY works if you subscribe to UVO. If you don’t, yeah, the fob’s your only way.
I don't own a cell phone (hate them) and all the watches that I own (7) are for keeping correct time, atomic clock out of Ft. Collins, CO. I guess ALL of the engineers
at KIA skipped the class on "how to make customers happy with a remote start" 101. Other than that I love the car, so far!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't own a cell phone (hate them) and all the watches that I own (7) are for keeping correct time, atomic clock out of Ft. Collins, CO. I guess ALL of the engineers
at KIA skipped the class on "how to make customers happy with a remote start" 101. Other than that I love the car, so far!
Oh, I know, my post was more for folks like Wolftrax who DOES have an alternate device and may find it works well enough. Not a lot of folks have phones handy, but for folks that do, they may find a really quick way to a solution.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
... Are you also a part-time hitman? 😂

I personally still use an old like...1st or 2nd Gen solar atomic G-Shock with a traditional hand face. Been over 10 years and still going strong, haven't changed the batteries on it yet either. Probably the pinnacle of the most practical watch I've worn to date. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts