Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has ran a remote wire from the back of the stereo can you tell me what to wire you tapped into? Need wire color and connector color. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2022 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
18 Posts
You need a line output converter when using any stock radio unless it has a factory amp. I'd recommend an lc2i... or lc7i if you plan on replacing speakers and adding another amp for those speakers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got my subs installed at Best Buy and they didn’t have to remove my radio or anything . They have a wire diagram that I guess radio places only have and they tapped it somewhere in my drivers door . Haven’t had no problems and works great . Just be mindful on what wires you tap into. Don’t want to ruin your car and end up messing something up and then have your body harness replaced which they won’t warranty . I just took it to Best Buy since it won’t void out my warranty if anything happens .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the accessorie wire with a volt meter. But something seems off. LC2i has to be turned all the way up to get any volume. Cuts out with 2 12’s but does okay with 1. So far not a great experience.

·
Registered
2022 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
18 Posts
I need to know your entire setup in order to give advice bro... I'm also using an LC2i... I tapped into my rear door speaker instead of using remote wire to power on... I installed my LC2i next to my amp so I could run LC2i power and ground directly to the amp... remote wire from LC2i to the amp also to turn the amp on... speaker signal turns on the LC2i, LC2i turns on the amp which provides power and ground for LC2i... running 2 sundown audio 10s at 2,000 watts with zero issues for over a year now

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I need to know your entire setup in order to give advice bro... I'm also using an LC2i... I tapped into my rear door speaker instead of using remote wire to power on... I installed my LC2i next to my amp so I could run LC2i power and ground directly to the amp... remote wire from LC2i to the amp also to turn the amp on... speaker signal turns on the LC2i, LC2i turns on the amp which provides power and ground for LC2i... running 2 sundown audio 10s at 2,000 watts with zero issues for over a year now
Well its not my first system install but its my first time using a line converter (LC2i). Had to use a remote wire because the GTO didnt work as planned. I have the speaker lines from from back of stereo connected to the rear speakers. I have a 800W kicker running 2 dual voice coil VR-C 12” kickers. I think the problem was a bad ground. Going to find out today if that fixes it when i install the custom box i made today. Where did you put your ground wire?

Update:
Moved the ground. Hooked subs back up and same thing, amp goes into protection mode when they hit hard. With volume low they work fine. I finally tried them with just the positive from the speakers and they dont turn off with volume but the subs lack volume. Just gonna turn everything down and slowly raise it up until i find the sweet spot. Probably time to upgrade my amp.

·
Registered
2022 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
18 Posts
Are you asking about the amp ground or LC2i? Are they 2 ohm subs or 4 ohm? Also, are they wired in parallel or series? If it's going into protect at high volumes you may need to adjust your gains... did you use an oscilloscope or multimeter to tune your amp or do it by ear?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you asking about the amp ground or LC2i? Are they 2 ohm subs or 4 ohm? Also, are they wired in parallel or series? If it's going into protect at high volumes you may need to adjust your gains... did you use an oscilloscope or multimeter to tune your amp or do it by ear?
They are both 2ohm subs wired in series on 1 channel so 2ohms. I was referring to the ground for the amp. I just bought a new amp and it seems to be working fine now. I followed the directions that came with the LC2i to tune the accubass. I have the gain on the amp around 40% even tho i read 25% is a good number to have your amp gain. The old amp i had for a few years maybe it was just its time.

·
Registered
2022 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
18 Posts
1. My k5 doesn't have any bass rolloff so I'm confused as to why you would need to tune your accubass.

2. If you wired them in series than your final impedance would be 8 ohm... not 2...

3. You should never turn your amp gains into a guessing game. Every vehicle will have require different gain adjustments. That's probably why your last amp went into protect at high volumes.

This is a link to help you out with your sub wiring to get you to your target impedance. Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams for Two 2 Ohm Dual Voice Coil Speakers

Also, do yourself a favor and learn how to properly tune your amp. It can be done by ear (not very accurate though). Next cheapest option would be a multimeter. Then there's the oscilloscope. You can get a cheap one for about $40 that works just fine and will be the most accurate for cheap. There's other options but those prices jump into the hundreds. Not worth it for one install. I hope this info helps. No offense but I hate to see such a nice car get a half assed install without a proper tune. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I really just want to help you bruh...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts