Kia K5 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I sort of have the same question. What was your method with removing the steering wheel emblem? I don't intend to keep the OEM, and I've already started trying to pry it off so it's too late to change my mind haha. Any tips or tricks you can share? That's my last step with replacing all my badges. Right now I'm nervous because I've ripped part of the OEM badge off and see a plastic looking circle backing around the edge of where it was. Did I go too shallow? Any help would be much appreciated as I've been looking everywhere.
Yeah the steering wheel emblem is held by 2 tabs on top and 2 tads on bottom bent over. Pretty much impossible to take off without destroying it. So I just ripped emblem in half and just pulled straight out. It won't hurt the steering wheel. all of the overlays and emblems I bought for it was to shallow so wouldn't fit right. so i used very sharp straight razorblade Not the utility kind, and used that to shave small pieces off the domed structure behind the emblem. It's made of same thing as the airbag cover. Plastic/rubberish.so you can shave it down pretty easy. Go slow and carful not to Nick the airbag cover. What you are trying to do is shollow out the domed part, so more in the middle then smaller towards edges. The very edges don't have to be shaved. I used the emblem with backing not pulled off tape to guide how much to shave the dome.this is how it look after.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
front and rear emblems measured the same 4.51" (114.5mm) wide. height 2.245" (57mm). steering wheel was 2.425" (57mm) by 1.225" (32mm). now these are the exact measurements of my original emblems, (vernier calipers) except for steering wheel that one was the replacement one( could have been a little bigger and would have still fit). hope this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Does anyone have actual measurements of both emblems?
front and rear emblems measured the same 4.51" (114.5mm) wide. height 2.245" (57mm). steering wheel was 2.425" (57mm) by 1.225" (32mm). now these are the exact measurements of my original emblems, (vernier calipers) except for steering wheel that one was the replacement one( could have been a little bigger and would have still fit). hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 373
Ok a small tutorial on replacing kia emblems for hood and trunk.

Equipment I used was:

The new emblems: several different varieties, mine were black carbon
Kia 3.0 K Logo Emblem Sets
I'd rate the emblems an A (good finish, real carbon fiber not plastic molded to look like it, chrome looked thick not cheap)
Heat gun
Goop off
Tar and wax remover
Rubbing Alcohol
Painter tape
Shop towels
Fishing line
Plastic pry tools
View attachment 361

I used heat gun to heat up the emblems in A circular pattern until they were hot enough that I could touch for 2-3 secs without burning myself, make sure you don't go crazy here, you can always go hotter so don't go torching them🤔. I started at shoe edges till I could put plastic putty knife under emblem and pry up a little. Then used fishing line to saw back in forth till I hit the first post.
View attachment 365

Then reheated a little and worked my putty knife around top of emblem, don't use huge amount of force. About the same as cutting in a block of cheese. It will start
letting go, I then took the small pry tool and used it to slice the stretched glue.
View attachment 366
I reheated more and it came away pretty easy.

View attachment 367
This is what the back of emblem of Hood and Trunk emblem looks like.

View attachment 368
Then a used the heat gun to soften up glue a little so I could use my fingers and roll the glue off (think rubber cement on envelopes). After I got as much off as I could I used shop towels and goop off to rub the rest off. After that I used the tar and wax remover to take the residual goop off off. And then used the alcohol to take residual wax remover off.

View attachment 369
There should be absolutely no residue left. and when wiping down with just towel should not be slick at all. it should drag at the towel. I then heated the back of emblem and the car emblem spot to make everything warm again (it's 38°F here). Lined up the emblem before removing paper backing from adhesive, found out where I wanted it.(You can use painters tape to marks the place where you want the sides to go to give you a reference) and barely touched it to car. Took a look at the alignment and it was good. So applied pressure to emblem to stick it tight. If the alignment is off you should be able to take it back off or move it slightly as long as you barely put emblem on before looking.
View attachment 370

Front is about the same as the back. But I positioned the emblem before taking backing off the adhesive and then used about 6" of painter tape to tape it in place. making sure that I have enough tape so I could flip the emblem back enough so i could take backing off without removing the tape from either car or emblem. again you could use the tape to make alignment marks with edge of tape for reference if you want to be double sure.
View attachment 371

Made sure that the alignment was where I wanted and and then took backing off emblem and flipped it down and again barely touched it to car. I found alignment was very slightly off and used the plastic tool to pry up a little and moved emblem till it was good. View attachment 372

I ceramic coated (or could use wax) the emblems and recoated area around it afterwards.
Hopefully this helps. I couldn't find anything on the net that was specific for our 2021 K5's, just the 2020's Optimas.

I also tried to do the steering wheel emblem but couldn't get the emblem off without marking it up. so if anyone has an idea on how to do that. I would appreciate the help!
Great write up appreciate it a lot. What did you about the holes on the trunk? Would really hate for water to get in and end up causing it to corrode

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Great write up appreciate it a lot. What did you about the holes on the trunk? Would really hate for water to get in and end up causing it to corrode
The holes are covered up with the adhesive pad that comes with the emblems. Same as the originals. The prongs that fit into holes were + shaped so basicly for guidance of emblem didn't plug them. I would say they are sealed up as good as the original. But you could always put a dab of silicone on hole as long as you don't get it all over. It's rained for 4 days here now and I went out to check and trunk is dry as can be around that spot. Hope this helps.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts