Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 K5 GT-Line brand new, bought back in March and love it! I am fanatical about taking care of it. Wash it weekly at a local place I’ve been going to for two decades. I keep it in mint condition 24/7. For reference in live in suburban town 45 mins north of Philadelphia (Lower Bucks County, PA), and all I’ve ever dealt with was washing off road grime and seasonal pollen, LOL.

I am currently down the shore, Ocean City Maryland, to be exact- first trip in my new car. Arriving here yesterday, Sunday 6/13 my car was looking flawless as usual.

Until I woke up this morning Monday 6/14 to hop in it to go for a ride. I found these spots from the front glass to the roof to the rear trunk- on windows, chrome trim, body and side panels, and spoiler/light bar- that WON’T come up! And when I wipe it down it leaves what feels like raised circles. I thought it was pollen but after some conversations I think it’s the salt water in the air that is having some awful affect on the outside of my vehicle as this is the only variable that has changed since I got the car. Does anyone know if this is the case, what this could be, why it’s occurring, and should I be in panic mode (because I am, LOL)?

Im about to go to the car wash now to see what happens after a good wash, but this is concerning me to say the least.

If this is salt water air damage, would the dealer cover this, since it’s a lease? I don’t think my lease would say,”don’t go down the shore, you’ll ruin your car.” LOL. Could this be an error from the factory where they maybe forgot to put on protectant?

help!!!

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
That looks like it could be salt, or a mix of salt and dust from the air. As long as you have a layer of protection on it before hand like wax or a ceramic coat, it should wash right off with some water. As with road salts, though, I do recommend spraying the bottom of your car with some fresh water just in case.

In short, the exterior should be just fine as long as you wash the car regularly.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, thanks man. Just got back and a drive through auto-wash and it looks much better, including a heavy undercarriage wash. There are still some minor “salt rings” after a good wash and hand dry/detail, but I’ll run it through again tomorrow and that should do the trick. I put a lot of elbow grease into it and it all came up 100% in most spots like the paint, 85%-100% in others like roof glass and spoiler.

Im gonna hit up a detail shop when I get home later in the week and have them buff her back to normal and get a ceramic coat.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
434 Posts
Rinse properly and wash. Once I dry my car, I go over each panel with a damp microfiber towel and immediately wipe with a dry microfiber towel. Then, I use this ceramic quick detailer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Was down in OC back in April, had no issues, but, I did purchase (and honestly regret) the Cilajet coating on mine when I bought her. Had no issues, but previous cars without any coating applied usually needed a wash after being in Ocean City for a few days, The trials and tribulations of being near the salt air.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the tips and feedback gang!

Gotta say lastly, she’s an eye catcher too... cruising Coastal Hwy with the windows down, lots of turning heads and people stopping at red lights giving nice compliments on how nice and sporty a car the K5 GT-Line is!

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT line Wolf Gray/Red
55 Posts
That looks like it could be salt, or a mix of salt and dust from the air. As long as you have a layer of protection on it before hand like wax or a ceramic coat, it should wash right off with some water. As with road salts, though, I do recommend spraying the bottom of your car with some fresh water just in case.

In short, the exterior should be just fine as long as you wash the car regularly.
It’s definitely salt it comes down from the night Moisture than heat bakes all the moisture out leaving salt water impurities on the paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts