Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 K5 Gt-Line Premium AWD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off .. Loving the forum, found a lot of info and options I wasnt aware of when buying the car. One is the Smart trunk which I didn't know about. Obviously a simple thing... But I am often carrying a ton of items or large items and this is super helpful.

One thing I want to see is if there is someway to put a shock/damper so it doesn't fly open like "ejecto seat cuz!" ... I think it looks cheap the way it flies open...

So if I find a solution I'll share

·
Registered
110 Posts
First off .. Loving the forum, found a lot of info and options I wasnt aware of when buying the car. One is the Smart trunk which I didn't know about. Obviously a simple thing... But I am often carrying a ton of items or large items and this is super helpful.

One thing I want to see is if there is someway to put a shock/damper so it doesn't fly open like "ejecto seat cuz!" ... I think it looks cheap the way it flies open...

I haven't heard of any dampers/shocks however, I kind of like the way the truck flies open lol People always look at me like wtf when it happens haha

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't heard of any dampers/shocks however, I kind of like the way the truck flies open lol People always look at me like wtf when it happens haha
🤣😂🤣😂 You have a point..I know it's coming and I'm like WTF!?! I expect a Jack in the Box to pop out... (🤔 Halloween idea)

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
This is essentially what I feel like every time the trunk pops open, too. 😂

Perfect timing for Halloween. lol

But yeah, I've been looking around for some dampening solutions myself. Since I reverse park on a slight incline, the trunk tends to pop up more violently. Maybe adding some foam padding to the area where the rubber bumpers contact the body.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This is essentially what I feel like every time the trunk pops open, too. 😂

Perfect timing for Halloween. lol

But yeah, I've been looking around for some dampening solutions myself. Since I reverse park on a slight incline, the trunk tends to pop up more violently. Maybe adding some foam padding to the area where the rubber bumpers contact the body.
Yeah I was doing some investigating after posting and it's a weird setup. I'm wondering if I could 3D print something with a soft spring to slow it down 🤔

·
Registered
154 Posts

Mine does not pop up at all with Smart Trunk. I always have to lift it open after it pops.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Mine does not pop up at all with Smart Trunk. I always have to lift it open after it pops.
That's weird, the trunk should pop up automatically when you open it, due to 2 tension rods pushing it open along the ceiling of the trunk.
Gas Tints and shades Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Windshield
You can see the 2 black rods up top running horizontally in the pic here.

If it doesn't pop open, you might want to check the trunk ceiling and make sure the tension rods are working and properly lubed up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's weird, the trunk should pop up automatically when you open it, due to 2 tension rods pushing it open along the ceiling of the trunk.
View attachment 1767
You can see the 2 black rods up top running horizontally in the pic here.

If it doesn't pop open, you might want to check the trunk ceiling and make sure the tension rods are working and properly lubed up.
I will check it out. Gasket is tacky I know for sure. Always sounds like velcro when I open it.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
That could also add to the issue... lol Mine has been sounding smooth whenever it is opened. The same goes for the hood and doors. Might also want to see if cleaning the seals will help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That’s what makes it a smart trunk.. why have an automatic trunk release when you still have to use one or both hands.. it’s designed to walk up to it and pop open. I love the way it just flies open.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
That’s what makes it a smart trunk.. why have an automatic trunk release when you still have to use one or both hands.. it’s designed to walk up to it and pop open. I love the way it just flies open.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love that it pops open. It's just that I wish it'd stop slower... lol It kind of bounces a bit violently at the end and would love to find a way to dampen that bounce.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love that it pops open. It's just that I wish it'd stop slower... lol It kind of bounces a bit violently at the end and would love to find a way to dampen that bounce.
Yeah I popped the trunk using the button in the car, and it shakes the whole vehicle... I prefer the motorized lift gate in my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts