Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Software update button on the settings screen is greyed out and won't let me initiate a software update. Anyone else seen this before and if so is there any way to fix it? I've tried soft reset of infotainment system but I am trying to avoid the hard reset of disconnecting the battery for 30 min.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,080 Posts
What size screen do you have? The 10.25" (1 dial) or the 8" screen (2 dials)?

If you have the 8" screen, you'll need the software update on a USB drive, preferably one that's USB 3.0 and 32 GB (the updates can be quite large depending on which head unit you have). Make sure the USB drive is plugged in and the car detects the drive before trying to initialize the update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What size screen do you have? The 10.25" (1 dial) or the 8" screen (2 dials)?

If you have the 8" screen, you'll need the software update on a USB drive, preferably one that's USB 3.0 and 32 GB (the updates can be quite large depending on which head unit you have). Make sure the USB drive is plugged in and the car detects the drive before trying to initialize the update.
I have the 10.25 screen… the update requires 64 Gb drive because the update is 35 Gb. I have properly formatted but the car doesn’t detect the drive when I plug it in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had a problem before and had to re-download and copy to the USB for a 2nd attempt.
Tried that countless times… same thing every time… I plug usb into car, “reading usb” prompt appears and then goes away and then nothing else happens and I still can’t push the button

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update…. I’ve tried everything I can think of up to this point and will have to schedule an appointment to take the car in i believe. I’ll be takin it in in about 2 weeks so I’ll hopefully someone else hops on here with an idea I haven’t thought of. Thanks everyone else up to this point for bouncing ideas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don’t have another laying around but I’ve tried 2 different USB’s… one was a Sandisk 3.0 128GB… then I thought that one might be too big so then I tried a Sandisk 3.0 64GB and everything was the same
Also I can’t go any smaller than a 64GB because the update is 35 GB

·
Registered
2022 Sapphire Blue K5 GT-Line AWD Premium
7 Posts
Check if the USB drive is formatted exFAT or FAT32 (at least in Windows you can see that in Windows Explorer if you select the drive, right-click and select Properties).

The Navigation Updater tool for Windows that you download for the software update says the USB should be formatted FAT32, but I think I tried that and it didn’t work but exFAT did. In any case you may have to reformat the USB drive because If it’s the wrong file system format from what it expects it won’t recognize the USB.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GTLine AWD
51 Posts
exfat for a large drive.. and the files must be in the root directory.. I just drop them in the root of my music thumbdrive let the update rip and then remove them [I dl them to my hard drive first[

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check if the USB drive is formatted exFAT or FAT32 (at least in Windows you can see that in Windows Explorer if you select the drive, right-click and select Properties).

The Navigation Updater tool for Windows that you download for the software update says the USB should be formatted FAT32, but I think I tried that and it didn’t work but exFAT did. In any case you may have to reformat the USB drive because If it’s the wrong file system format from what it expects it won’t recognize the USB.
Ya it’s formatted to exfat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts