Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I'm not sure if this is a Spotify thing or a Kia thing...

I'd like it so when I turn my car on, it automatically connects to Bluetooth and plays music. Ideally, if the app is not even up on my phone, it would be great if it could pull it up and play music.

I've tried leaving my app up on my phone, and i get mixed results. When i get in my car it never automatically connects. I always have to go into media and choose bluetooth. From there it's a gamble - sometimes it will play, other times it doesn't play unless i go onto my phone, pull up the app, and hit play. Even then, sometimes I can see the music playing on my phone, but no sounds through the speakers. Generally futzing with the app and the car console gets it to play.

This is very annoying. I don't like having to take my phone out and mess with the bluetooth every time i get in my car. Looking at some Spotify posts/google search, it looks like it has a feature to auto play when it connects to blue tooth, but it doesn't seem to work.

Are there settings somewhere I missed where it can auto play, or automatically connect to my phone? it doesn't seem to want to, even for phone calls, unless I hit a button to have it connected. Has anyone else had this struggle and able to find a solution?

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
Do you have the smaller 8" screen with wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay or the larger 10.5" screen with the wired connection?

For the 8" screen with wireless AA/AC, once you get your device connected with the car, the car will automatically continue playing your Spotify playlist via AA/AC when you turn the car on and it has detected your device and reconnected.

Otherwise, I think I remember seeing a setting in the infotainment screen in the device connections about continuing to play music with Bluetooth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the smaller 8" screen with wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay or the larger 10.5" screen with the wired connection?

For the 8" screen with wireless AA/AC, once you get your device connected with the car, the car will automatically continue playing your Spotify playlist via AA/AC when you turn the car on and it has detected your device and reconnected.

Otherwise, I think I remember seeing a setting in the infotainment screen in the device connections about continuing to play music with Bluetooth.
I have the 10-.5, so no wireless CarPlay for me. I'd be happy with this working with normal Bluetooth. I'll go into the setting again, maybe I missed something. Im about to give up and just use a USB stick for music, but its a pain and I'd rather use Spotify

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
Weird, I was just testing out the Bluetooth audio streaming and it seems to auto connect and continue playing just fine, even after turning my car off and turning it back on again. I didn't have to touch anything on my phone. Spotify just continues playing through the car speakers once it re-establishes the connection.

Maybe check in your Spotify settings, under Car. Ignore the Car Thing setting (it's an external device you have to buy separately). For the Switch to car mode setting, I have it set to "Only in a car", and the Keep app open on screen setting is turned off.

Also under Devices, I have the Spotify Connect in background setting turned on just to ensure Spotify stays running and playing in the background with the screen off or when I'm opening another app.

One more thing, when you connect your phone to your car, the car should have your phone saved and set to auto-reconnect to your phone on start up. It should only disconnect when you tell it to.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the 10-.5, so no wireless CarPlay for me. I'd be happy with this working with normal Bluetooth. I'll go into the setting again, maybe I missed something. Im about to give up and just use a USB stick for music, but its a pain and I'd rather use Spotify
First thing, check your connection cable and make sure it is data rated/capable. I had some weird problems and that was it. Especially, start here if it is dropping connection and/or not recognizing your device. Switching my cable to one specifically data rated solved all my infotainment related issues. AA still acts up but that is Google's problem.

I know with AA you have to give the app permission to connect BT automatically. Otherwise you have to turn it on manually every time.

I have it on auto connect and it goes straight to my default player app and starts. If I have the radio or something else playing already, then I have to switch it. I also always plug my phone in after I start the car and the infotainment has booted completely.

Start with all your CarPlay settings, totally not an apple guy so I can't help you there. If you are sure they are ok and it still doesn't work, sell your iPhone and buy a OnePlus 9 or other Android (no Samsung they are almost as bad as Apple). Lol, JK... maybe.

The settings for the infotainment are layered deep and you will probably need to get that scary, thick B&W manual out and work through the menus.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
833 Posts
lol Hey, I'm a Samsung user! :ROFLMAO: I have an S20+ and one of the best features of it is probably Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST). It's too bad that going forward, it'll no longer be featured in future phones, and that the tech is solely a Samsung thing. They bought out the patent for the technology, after all. LG bought a patent to something similar for their phones, but they recently announced this year that they are getting out of the smart phone market.

Some places don't have NFC capable POS systems but still use old-style magnetic card swipe machines so MST comes in pretty handy for those cases. Hobby Lobby being one of them. I'm one of the only people that can use my phone to pay for stuff there because of it. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts