Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mine grumble some mornings after sitting for a day or 2. Once the oxidation wears off they're good.

If yours are squeaking constantly that's not good. You should get them evaluated.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
942 Posts
No squeaky brakes here either. Then again, I'm perverse in a way that I wash the car just about every week... 😂 You may want to try some brake cleaner or brake quiet and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
212 Posts
No squeaky brakes here either. Then again, I'm perverse in a way that I wash the car just about every week... 😂 You may want to try some brake cleaner or brake quiet and see if that helps.
Is it bad that I haven't washed mine since I bought it ... in April?😱

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dropped off the K5 at the dealer. Turns out that the rear rotor needs replacing due to metal contact with the metal shield. Still waiting to find out of this will be covered under the warranty. I would assume so. I don't think painting the calipers would cause this contact.. Plus this was hear prior to painting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the dealer is not covering the damage. Stated that the backing plate being moved is outside the influenced repair.
What's $598 to swap a rotor. Crazy... Rotor is only $115.

I have no idea how this could have happened.. really sucks.

·
Registered
2022 K5 Gt-Line Premium AWD
53 Posts
Well, the dealer is not covering the damage. Stated that the backing plate being moved is outside the influenced repair.
What's $598 to swap a rotor. Crazy... Rotor is only $115.

I have no idea how this could have happened.. really sucks.
Crazy. I'm sure you can find a brake place to fix it far cheaper. I just had a local shop do pads and rotors that I applied on my Modified Jeep JK and they charged less than $200 for the whole she bang...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone experiencing squeaky brakes?
More of a ‘moan’ than a squeak on my K5 GT-line started at 2,500 miles on the drivers side front wheel upon braking. First time I heard it I pulled over and ran my finger over the rotor from the outer edge to the center and it feels like middle of the circular rotor surface has a slight outward rise or warp. I’ll be speaking with Kia this week and see what they say.
I wasn’t aware brake rotors are now being made thinner and cannot be resurfaced.
A few years ago, on my 2018 Optima (over 36K miles), I needed new front pads and the mechanic told me ‘he doesn’t have rotors resurfaced, he will only do the job with new rotors’. I thought he was being a dick but now I get it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
12/21/21 Update- The front left wheel continues to make a ‘moaning’ type of squeaking sound. Added about 700 miles since first post. It gets less noticeable after I’ve driven at multiple speeds for 15 minutes or more. Don’t think it’s rust. Having owned Optimas and Sorentos in the household, I’m familiar with the sound of rust when first driving after the rotors dried.
Spoke to Service Manager asked ‘are there any issues with the brakes or rotors on the 2021 K5 GT Line? I only have 3,200 miles and one wheel sounds like it has a warped rotor’, which of course was “absolutely not”. Dealer Can’t take the car into service department or even take a test drive until 1st week in Jan.
I asked if he thought it was safe to drive until they can take me, he wouldn’t answer either way.
I’ve read the entire thread; my issue seems somewhat unique in that it’s just 1 wheel making noise?
I’m going to ask a local mechanic what he thinks, but not touch the wheel and void my warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts