Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My K5 GT is here, ahead if its Aug 6 forecast. Ordered 5/20/22, and it came in yesterday. Wolf Grey (what else), with Chestnut interior trim. I drove it and gave it the okay, and left it with the dealer so they could tint the windows. I'll take it home sometime this afternoon.

The short drive I took was good - handled well, rode well, seemed to have an eager engine and trans (same as in my Santa Cruz, but apparently geared a little differently). My only disappointment is that they deleted the Homelink rearview mirror, apparently due to supply issues. Bummer, but I guess I'll clip the ol' garage door transmitter to my visor like in the Olden Days. :rolleyes:

Oh well. It's here and that's what counts.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
1,024 Posts
Congrats. Break her in slowly. The dct is special and can make certain clicking sounds at low speeds while coming to a stop. Normal. As for the homelink mirror....I never use mine . The only thing I like about my mirror is that it auto dims.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT-Line FWD
32 Posts
I did the homelink install myself. You have to be a bit careful since you're cutting straps on airbag pillars and replacing them to route the wires (Kia's included instructions), but it wasn't too bad to do.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I did the homelink install myself. You have to be a bit careful since you're cutting straps on airbag pillars and replacing them to route the wires (Kia's included instructions), but it wasn't too bad to do.
Yeah, I haven't checked to see if the harness is there or not, but all it needs is a (switched) hot wire and a ground, right?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a 4-cyl Stinger with the 2.0 Turbo rated at 255hp, and that rascal ran very well. My 6-cyl 3.3 T Stinger ran a lot better of course, but the 2.0 was more than adequate.

Now my K5 has a 2.5 T with 295hp, and I imagine it's a little lighter than the Stinger. So what we GT guys have is a baby Stinger. Front-wheel drive, sure, but I don't do burnouts anyway, and once rolling it's frisky and I can tell this thing wants to run and play.

Considering all the bells and whistles and the engine, GT owners hit a home run, and I'm sorry if it 's not available any more. This thing is the GTO of 2023.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the interior my wife HATES! :LOL: But I'm so over gloomy black interiors that I'd take almost anything. And Kia is so conservative with their colors that I'm amazed they even offer this! (BTW, that's my aftermarket black elbow rest.)

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ordered my GT on Jul 18th from Kentucky (Im in NC ) Wanted the auto dim mirror but I was told not to order the car with it because it might delay the build. glad i didn't. I will order it down the road. Hoping I get an update in the next couple of weeks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ordered my GT on Jul 18th from Kentucky (Im in NC ) Wanted the auto dim mirror but I was told not to order the car with it because it might delay the build. glad i didn't. I will order it down the road. Hoping I get an update in the next couple of weeks!
Might want to consider the Gentex unit, available on Amazon. At $249, It's 100 bucks cheaper than the Kia unit, and it even has an LED compass in the upper right corner and lighted buttons. You save enough to get it installed (if you don't want to do it yourself) and have money left over compared to the Kia mirror.

Gentex Homelink Mirror

Or go to kiastuff.com and get the OEM one (I think) for $279.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Might want to consider the Gentex unit, available on Amazon. At $249, It's 100 bucks cheaper than the Kia unit, and it even has an LED compass in the upper right corner and lighted buttons. You save enough to get it installed (if you don't want to do it yourself) and have money left over compared to the Kia mirror.

Gentex Homelink Mirror

Or go to kiastuff.com and get the OEM one (I think) for $279.

My 2012 ex which im still driving has a compass on the dlink. I will probably install my self. My optima had 307k on it and still runs great!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
question is does the GT have the connection available to get it wired up?
I was hoping you'd take yours apart and tell me! (Just kiddin' ;))

If it's not prewired, it's not a big deal to wire it into the fusebox with an Add-a-fuse, and ground it anywhere. I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the 250 bux to get one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, if it's not pre-wired, you'd just meed to run them across the front edge of the headliner, down the A-pillar and try to tuck them into the crack alongside the side of the dash, down to the fuseblock on the lower left side.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts