Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I’m having to top off my tires more often than on any other vehicle. For example had my 6k service done in late June and then 2 months later all wheels are down to 28-29. Door says 35 and dealers usually go big or go home for some reason so I figure I lost between 5-6psi in each wheel over 6 weeks or so. Not too mention at the 6k service I had a TPMS light for the front left which got down to 27. I serviced all and mentioned it to the dealer. Said they’d check and of course found nothing. Then last week the right rear was down to 27. Gotta ask how they rotated the tires at the 6k.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I feel like I’m having to top off my tires more often than on any other vehicle. For example had my 6k service done in late June and then 2 months later all wheels are down to 28-29. Door says 35 and dealers usually go big or go home for some reason so I figure I lost between 5-6psi in each wheel over 6 weeks or so. Not too mention at the 6k service I had a TPMS light for the front left which got down to 27. I serviced all and mentioned it to the dealer. Said they’d check and of course found nothing. Then last week the right rear was down to 27. Gotta ask how they rotated the tires at the 6k.
So I have factory N2 and these Pzero seem to stretch a bit. I had the dealer top off my N2 at 5k service. About 4 psi all around.

Rolled out at 38psi. 2500mi later I am back down to 36 psi. Love that I can track it from my info screen.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
170 Posts
When I bought my car at the end of April, It was really high, like 38-39 psi. I checked like a week or two ago and my pressure is still 35-36 psi. I'll try to remember to check on the way home tonight.

·
Registered
2022 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD Premium
39 Posts
Keep in mind that outdoor temperature will vary tire pressure, though usually not seen until very cold winter months if you live in snowy areas. The temperature has dropped about an avg of 15 degrees since I bought my car and the tires are now reading 2 psi lower than when I picked the car up as reference!

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
When "cold" , the tire psi should normally be 35 all around. Once warmed up, the tires should hit 38-39 psi.

I've been monitoring the PSI levels about every week or so ever since my car came with varying tire pressures on all 4 tires when I bought it. Other than that, the changing temps has been affecting my tire pressure.

It's good practice to check your tire pressure at least every season change. Colder ambient temps will cause your tires to read a lower psi due to colder air being more dense, and vice versa for hotter ambient temps.

And if you are reluctant to mix normal air with nitrogen air in your tires, just know that there's no harm in doing so. Only thing is, if you go to fill up with nitrogen later, the air would have to be purged in order to have the tires filled with pure nitrogen.

·
Registered
154 Posts
August is hotter than June when I got the car. N2 is less sensitive to temperature change. If anything the pressure should have been higher due to warmer temperatures. The tires relaxed and stretched from driving creating additional volume this lowering pressure. Just like your favorite jeans out of the dryer. A bit snug for the first little bit but broke in and comfortable by the time you take them off.

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line Wolf Grey
48 Posts
I can’t believe some places are still selling people on the nitrogen scam. It’s been researched and proven so many times that it’s a complete farce. Going out of your way to make sure you have nitrogen in your tires is a total waste of time and was invented by tire shops to help convince you that they are better than the other tire shop guy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can’t believe some places are still selling people on the nitrogen scam. It’s been researched and proven so many times that it’s a complete farce. Going out of your way to make sure you have nitrogen in your tires is a total waste of time and was invented by tire shops to help convince you that they are better than the other tire shop guy.
You may want to write kia a note since they are shipping cars from the factory with said scam

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Actually, my previous car also came with nitrogen filled tires. And the previous car before that. 🤷‍♂️ I believe all the luxury brands and exotic sports car manufacturers do, too.

And while tests done on nitrogen vs air has been done, they almost always favor nitrogen. From their own testing, NHTSA has found that nitrogen will lose less pressure than air (albeit, only a tiny amount) and also help in oxidation degradation of the tires, but unless you plan to store your car for long periods of time without driving it, it's pretty much negligible since most owners get their tires replaced before that ever happens.

Whether you as the owner feel it is worth it to keep them filled with nitrogen is up to you. I know some dealers will top off your tires with nitrogen free of charge whenever you go in for a routine maintenance. At least the place where I bought my K5 does anyway.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GTLine AWD
37 Posts
Yeah, usually new cars that's been pre-inflated with nitrogen will have a green valve cap on it to denote nitrogen is filled in it.
ok, mines standard black.. phew. [i have my own compressor so when things fluctuate i top them off]

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
I was going to get an air compressor for top offs, too, but I have a Wawa's literally less than a minute away. lol They have a free air pump station open to anyone to use. Just something to note if you have one near your place.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
Nitrogen Versus Compressed Air: Which Is Better for Your Tires?

As I said, nitrogen does have benefits over air but it's very negligible for normal drivers. One main benefit is not having water vapor in the tire so it has a more predictable pressure when warmed up. The more water in the tire, the more it'll expand due to heat.

It's up to you if you think it's worth paying for it and if your dealer provides it free of charge with your maintenance, might as well take advantage of it. lol

:edit:
Oh I forgot to mention that regardless of what kind of air you put in your tires, the best thing to do is just to check your tire pressure regularly. Once a month is recommended but at least once every season change, due to temperature changes.

Our cars are equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system that actively shows the tire pressure of your tires (wheels need to roll around for a bit on a cold start) so just checking on it is just simply scrolling through your instrument cluster menu. It's right after the settings screen.
Car Speedometer Automotive design Vehicle Gauge

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got my K5 on June 5 2021 and when I got home I checked the tire pressure and found that all 4 tires where at 38-39 psi. I did some research and found out most dealers
over-inflate there new car tires. The K5 is supposed to read 35 psi at "cold" tire pressure. I have my own air compressor and I check my psi every 2 weeks and set them at 1 psi over the recommended 35psi to (36psi). I find that I get better gas millage and better wear of the tires at 36psi (slightly overinflated) without getting a rough ride. As the weather changes, cold to hot, the psi will increase and decrease when the weather goes goes from hot to cold. My air compressor is pretty accurate, I noticed that my psi indicator on the TPI screen in my car says the same as to what I have put into the tires (cold tire inflation). It takes about a 1/10 of a mile driving for the TPI screen to come on. After driving for about a 1/2 hour or so on a hot day the readings read 38 or 39 on all 4 tires. As the weather gets colder here in New York I would expect the psi to drop a little as I drive but I still will make sure that my psi will be "cold" inflated to 36psi every 2 weeks. My tire pressure has been spot on for the last 3 months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kia added Nitro fill to my tires to keep them from losing air less. Hope this helps.
[

·
Registered
2022 K5 GTLine AWD
37 Posts
I was going to get an air compressor for top offs, too, but I have a Wawa's literally less than a minute away. lol They have a free air pump station open to anyone to use. Just something to note if you have one near your place.
around here we have stewart's ... half the time the pumps are broke or the digital readout is a few psi off.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
around here we have stewart's ... half the time the pumps are broke or the digital readout is a few psi off.
As long as it pumps air, that fine with me. I usually double check the PSI level with my own gauge afterwards just in case, and also again in the car with the TPMS. Can't be too sure that everything is accurate. lol

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
170 Posts
I got one of these a few years ago. mine has an analog gauge which isn't very accurate, but it gets the job done. They seem yo have upgraded to digital. maybe it is more accurate.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts