Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well owned my K5 gt line for a month now. So far loved everything about it. However, today I went to wash my car and noticed that the black/tinted glass on the roof between the windshield and the sunroof was completely shattered internally. Anyone see this before.

·
Registered
2022 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD Premium
48 Posts
Whoa first I’ve ever heard of that - was there any other chemical application/compounding/polishing that has been on this section before? Or just normal car washing And care?

Not sure how any of that would affect it but just interesting to see if there might havre been anything that could have caused this….

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
738 Posts
Yeah, it's the first that I've heard this happening too... I've been very wary about my roof being all glass because of something happening to the glass, too. I figured it'd be alright but seeing that...ouch. Perhaps a rock or something hard may have hit that side of the glass? The damage seems the worst on the driver's side, after all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoa first I’ve ever heard of that - was there any other chemical application/compounding/polishing that has been on this section before? Or just normal car washing And care?

Not sure how any of that would affect it but just interesting to see if there might havre been anything that could have caused this….
Just normal hand washing since I got it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it's the first that I've heard this happening too... I've been very wary about my roof being all glass because of something happening to the glass, too. I figured it'd be alright but seeing that...ouch. Perhaps a rock or something hard may have hit that side of the glass? The damage seems the worst on the driver's side, after all.
Crazy part is with that kind of damage you would have thought if it was something hard I would have heard an impact of some sort. The whole piece is kinda flexible I wonder if it's flex related and popped the glass due to just road conditions.

·
Registered
2022 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD Premium
48 Posts
Odd, if you manage to get in contact with a Kia service department, please let us know what they respond with if it was an external force or something with the actual panel being flexible causing the internal shattering!
I would assume you would have seen external damage on that section if something like a rock hit that or if someone came by and decided to damage the car.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
738 Posts
I didn't think that it would flex and stress it that much through normal usage... 🙁

Also, is there a horizontal scratch on the glass? I think I might see a similar horizontal scratch on the panoramic glass, too. Or maybe it a reflection of something and my eyes are just going crazy. lol

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
187 Posts
The panoramic sunroof on the K5 is pretty much identical to the one my Optima had. If they had a lot of issues like this, I'd like to think they would have worked the kinks out by now. Good luck at the dealer. Hopefully they don't try to blame you and they replace it for free. I wonder, does the glass coverage on your insurance cover the sunroof? I hope so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts