Kia K5 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia k5 lxs
4 Posts
Hello. Just curious, anyone else experiencing transmission issues with their K5? I ask because I run the car complaint website mycarvoice.com, and starting to receive email complaints regarding this subject. At this point it may seem a bit premature, but these requests have all come in around the same time. So I wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue? Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread.
Mine had problems if I tried going up an incline with a cold engine it took two months for the dealership to find a bad temperature probe in ecr unit after it was changed ran fine it wouldn’t downshift when you got on the gas but after the engine warmed up it ran fine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes. My car has sent 6 out of the last 8 weeks at dealership. They couldn't get it to anything so they had me drive it with mechanic who had computer hooked up to it but it ran fine. I asked them if there was something they could plug in and let me drive it that would record any problems. They got a "flight recorder" from kia and plugged it into my car it had a button I had to push when the problem started then it would record a clip for them to download. Got the car to act up but the recording didn't show much. My check engine light after about the 6th week and when they checked it there was a bad temp probe in the engine control system which sets your air and gas mixture. I just got the car back to give it a few test rides. I paid close attention to when mine would act up. It was always within 10 minutes or so of a cold startup (like if it sat over night or after getting off work) . I would be going around 35 mph get off the gas for a second or two and then back on gas and always on some type of up grade on the road. If I didn't have any hills to pull out onto or could increase speed without getting off the gas first it ran perfect. Also if I could drive for 15 or 20 or so without that on off back on the gas (think freeway entry with clover leaf) it would run perfect like something had to warm up first. I've checking posts to see if anyone had any updates but nobody had. I should know in a day or two if the temp prob was the problem. To me it has to be some minor problem or just restarting the car wouldn't clear the problem. Hope this helps little.
Hi there. Did the temp probe replacement solve your issue? My daughter is having the exact same issue with her K5 and the dealer can’t figure out the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone else had random fluctuations with transmission shifts. I have been noticing this a lot in Sport and Smart mode. The other day while in traffic, I was about to accelerate because the traffic lifted, and the car just held at the same low gear (Sport Mode)…To the point that it was over revving to the high 5k to 6k RPMS. It would not shift to the next gear. I had to let go of the throttle and change the drive mode for it to function properly. I have noticed this behavior on numerous occasion. All in various driving situations. Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if Kia will release a TSB for possible Transmission reprogramming.
I have been having the same problem with the rpms revving up but it won't shift. I learned to move the shifter to the left and move it forward and it shifts. Pretty annoying ! Dealer said if they couldn't duplicate the same thing in a 7-10 minute 1.5 mile drive I would have to pay a diagnostic fee. REALLY? Like I really want to have this problem and I get a kick out of complaining about my 30K car not shifting correctly. Anyway of course it didn't happen during the short drive but luckily they waived the charge don't know if they do that just to scare you off. I have just been keeping it in normal mode so I don't get aggravated. SHAME!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issues with my K5...not even 1500 miles on it ....no one is believing me, my husband thinks the car drives fine, but he only drives it once a week, if that .... dealership checked it out, with their computer, and nothing is coming back ...my 2017 Civic was faster and accelerated with no hesitation! I don't know what else to do...for a brand new 32k car, it should be driving smooth like butter ...since you posted about this, have you had any more issues?
Following … I’m having the same issue I’ve got a 23 not even 300 miles and Ive noticed sluggish or barely any acceleration when I’m taking off (nit all the time but it’s becoming problematic ) it sounds like my car after it finally speeds up stays revved up for ever like it won’t shift or down shift properly … then this morning while driving my entire car started shaking starting with my steering wheel which you cld visibly see to my horror out of no where when I was going about 55 … this is insane there is zero reason A brand new car shld be doing this ! Not happy at all !

21 - 25 of 25 Posts