Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any hack or mod to turn off the DRL? I love them lol but we know they can be turned off if the car is in park and you engage the parking brake. So I wonder if we could tap into that somehow.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
846 Posts
If your light stock are in the OFF position it should also turn off the DRLs, but having it on AUTO will have it turn on DRLs by default. I can't remember if it's in there but you can check the light settings on your front instrument cluster to see if there is a DRL setting too.

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line Wolf Grey
65 Posts
I thought all new cars in the US were required to have DRL. I think that was enacted years ago. If I’m right I can’t imagine there being a way to turn them off. Maybe that requirement hasn’t kicked in yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your light stock are in the OFF position it should also turn off the DRLs, but having it on AUTO will have it turn on DRLs by default. I can't remember if it's in there but you can check the light settings on your front instrument cluster to see if there is a DRL setting too.
[/QUOTE
I thought all new cars in the US were required to have DRL. I think that was enacted years ago. If I’m right I can’t imagine there being a way to turn them off. Maybe that requirement hasn’t kicked in yet.
My DRLs stay on (probably all newer cars) with the stalk set to OFF.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
846 Posts
I did come across another K5 on the road with their DRL off before. I figured they must have left the headlights set to off. Maybe it's only in the lower trims without the Auto lights?

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX
31 Posts
I'm don't know why anyone in their right mind would want to drive around without them. I'd rather be seen and not have some unfortunate soul pull out in front of me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm don't know why anyone in their right mind would want to drive around without them. I'd rather be seen and not have some unfortunate soul pull out in front of me.
True. Again, I love the look of the DRLs and of course, the safety aspect is most important. But would like the option if it was available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In their right mind??? Daytime running lights ARE NOT required in the US.... I am old enough to remember when "daytime running lights" became a thing on cars manufactured in the US and it's always been the headlights that were on during the day, not the parking lights like the new K5's. What good does it do to have the front parking lights on during broad daylight? If you can't see a four door sedan in broad daylight, then having the front amber parking lights illuminated isn't going to help. Just because someone came up with an idea (DRL) and implemented it on cars produced in the last 20 years doesn't automatically make it a necessity for safety. In fact, many new makes and models are being built today WITHOUT any form of DRL at all! You're free to drive all day, every day with your parking lights on, but don't knock those of us who don't fall for the "safety" narrative.

I would LOVE to have my parking lights disabled while driving during the day on my new K5 but the dealer told me that isn't even an option with factory software at the dealer level. Next step, find a technical wiring diagram and "fix it" myself.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
198 Posts
In their right mind??? Daytime running lights ARE NOT required in the US.... I am old enough to remember when "daytime running lights" became a thing on cars manufactured in the US and it's always been the headlights that were on during the day, not the parking lights like the new K5's. What good does it do to have the front parking lights on during broad daylight? If you can't see a four door sedan in broad daylight, then having the front amber parking lights illuminated isn't going to help. Just because someone came up with an idea (DRL) and implemented it on cars produced in the last 20 years doesn't automatically make it a necessity for safety. In fact, many new makes and models are being built today WITHOUT any form of DRL at all! You're free to drive all day, every day with your parking lights on, but don't knock those of us who don't fall for the "safety" narrative.

I would LOVE to have my parking lights disabled while driving during the day on my new K5 but the dealer told me that isn't even an option with factory software at the dealer level. Next step, find a technical wiring diagram and "fix it" myself.
Strong words against a harmless safety precaution. What's the big deal?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts