Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Kia K5 GT-Line
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of your favorite car washing/cleaning products? This is my first nice car and I’m afraid of scratching or damaging the paint.
Any suggestions (brushes, soap, sprays, etc) or tips for washing the k5 would be helpful :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do you know if your K5 came with the factory protection system applied? This would make a difference in potential products you might consider...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don’t think so.. what does that do?
Well it is a ceramic coating for paint and staingaurd on the interior.

If the paint has a ceramic coating there are soaps that help maintain it.

What you wash with does matter and sooner than later you need to seal / coat / wax the car.

Like I posted in another thread I am really impressed by this product.

You will need to follow all the prep instructions and get the prep products too.

The ceramic wash from that product line will do you well for keeping clean.

Get a nice wool or microfiber wash mitt. Meguiar's has a nice microfiber one out right now. Dry off with new fresh microfiber and it will look like the day you brought it home.

·
Registered
Wolf Grey K5 GT-Line, Magnetic Black 370z
49 Posts
Adam's Polishes, Chemical Guys, and sometimes Meguiars are what I use. Look into PPF if you also want to preserve the paint as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Look at reddit's /r/autodetailing. They are a very active community, and have a really good user guide with lots of products. From that I have bought Adam's Detail Spray (as a lube for Autscrub Sponge), an alternative to a clay bar. Car is too new to use that system, but I have another car that needs it. I also bought Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 which is a super high strength wax. Lastly, Jescar Power Lock Plus Ploymer Sealant. Same thing. Really good paint protection.

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line
26 Posts
I use chemical guy products on all my vehicles they work great. Waiting on a new shipment now to do the first detail on my k5. But i have used they're products on my 2013 wrangler and on my 2001 tundra and works amazing.

Not bad for a 20 year old truck

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
I use a pretty basic wash but today I used mother’s speed clay 2.0 to remove contaminants and such and applied the first dry base layer of Turtle Wax Graphene. Been a beautiful 4 hours with my K5 today. View attachment 1132
That looks really nice...

Just wondering, did you have water spots on your car before? And did the clay help you remove them?

I'm wanting to removing some pretty noticeable water spots on my car for being out in the elements for about a month without a wash...

Situations had me having to be away from home for that amount of time so I couldn't give it any loving until I got back. Unfortunately, the people that helped watched over our house and my car left it in a spot where rain runoffs from a 2 story roof fell right on my hood.

I'm glad I got the car waxed just a few days before we left but that stain (and a few others) are just bothering me. lol I might have to just polish it out instead.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GTLine Wolf Grey
36 Posts

Just wondering, did you have water spots on your car before? And did the clay help you remove them?

I'm wanting to removing some pretty noticeable water spots on my car for being out in the elements for about a month without a wash...

Situations had me having to be away from home for that amount of time so I couldn't give it any loving until I got back. Unfortunately, the people that helped watched over our house and my car left it in a spot where rain runoffs from a 2 story roof fell right on my hood.

I'm glad I got the car waxed just a few days before we left but that stain (and a few others) are just bothering me. lol I might have to just polish it out instead.
No water spots. Only had it a week or so and after it rained I immediately wiped her down. I would think the speed clay could work though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also use Chemical Guys products. I used to have a black car and that's when I first got into them, they made that car SHINE. :love:

I use the waterless car wash in between actual washes to keep it shiny. I also got ceramic coating on mine 4 days after I got it, which has helped keep the shine there always. Not using automatic car washes will help keep your paint looking great as well, as it dulls and scratches your paint over time. Their interior cleaner is also great, and I like their butter wet wax to use on the head & tail lights. All of their stuff is found on Amazon.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
612 Posts
No water spots. Only had it a week or so and after it rained I immediately wiped her down. I would think the speed clay could work though.
lol I wish I can do that too... It's been raining on and off all day for a while now over here. 😢

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line
26 Posts

Chemical Guys have a great water spot remover works wonders and effortlessly

·
Registered
43 Posts
there is a delicate spot on the K5; the part where the rear glass meets the piano black plastic part of the trunk. That piece will get scratched if washed or dried improperly. I hand wash my cars and try not to make contact with drying towels as much as possible. I have a 9 gallon Rigid vacuum and I can relocate the hose to use it as a blower to move the heavy water off the panels, wheels, tires and top glass. Then go with some detail spray of your choice and a thick micro fiber towel to go over the car. I find washing/detailing peaceful so I take my time and picky on what I use for the process. Have fun!

·
Registered
43 Posts
...note to self, when polishing the hood to rid of water spots, get a machine. 😩
Polishers can be expensive not to include the correct pads, compounds, time, prep and you must have a well shaded or cooled area. For water spots I would first do a hand wash, then a good medium clay bar with the wash soap you are already using as lubrication, rinse and dry. If you still have water spots then you can try using Chemical Guys water spot remover. If all fails ask the community if someone nearby has a polisher and can knock it out together... Just a thought. Here's the link for the water spot remover.

·
Registered
2021 Ebony Black GT w/GT1
14 Posts
This is my first black car and so I'm hand washing rather than car wash for the first time. Wife thinks I'm crazy, but I'm really worried about the car wash abuse. Just ordered Chemical Guys Maxi-Suds II on a Prime Day great deal. So far I have been using the Armor All Ceramic Car Wash and it has been great for the hydrophobic results, but don't love it as a wash soap. Works better as a foam canon application, so for my next wash I'll use the Maxi-Suds and then finish with the Armor All.

While we're on the subject of washing the K5, has anyone else noticed an issue where water (I mean a lot of water) gets in to the rear taillight that goes across the whole back of the car? Every time I wash the car I have to be sure to open the trunk so all that water can drain out the back corners. Thought it might be from using a pressure washer (even though I'm careful and power is not too high), but just got back from a 3-day trip and it rained a lot while I was gone. Opened the trunk to put in my luggage and water ran out the back corners! Wondering if my car is missing a rubber gasket someplace. Also...car looked perfect after all that rain. No water spots at all. +1 for the Armor All. I have not had my car coated. Thought about it, but there are definitely some minor swirls, etc. either from the factory or dealer wash, so it would need paint correction too.

As for drying, I purchased a cordless leaf blower when it was on sale and it works great for a touch-less dry. Wife thinks that's crazy too. 😀 Also spending way too many hours watching Chicago Auto Pros videos!

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is my first black car and so I'm hand washing rather than car wash for the first time. Wife thinks I'm crazy, but I'm really worried about the car wash abuse. Just ordered Chemical Guys Maxi-Suds II on a Prime Day great deal. So far I have been using the Armor All Ceramic Car Wash and it has been great for the hydrophobic results, but don't love it as a wash soap. Works better as a foam canon application, so for my next wash I'll use the Maxi-Suds and then finish with the Armor All.

While we're on the subject of washing the K5, has anyone else noticed an issue where water (I mean a lot of water) gets in to the rear taillight that goes across the whole back of the car? Every time I wash the car I have to be sure to open the trunk so all that water can drain out the back corners. Thought it might be from using a pressure washer (even though I'm careful and power is not too high), but just got back from a 3-day trip and it rained a lot while I was gone. Opened the trunk to put in my luggage and water ran out the back corners! Wondering if my car is missing a rubber gasket someplace. Also...car looked perfect after all that rain. No water spots at all. +1 for the Armor All. I have not had my car coated. Thought about it, but there are definitely some minor swirls, etc. either from the factory or dealer wash, so it would need paint correction too.

As for drying, I purchased a cordless leaf blower when it was on sale and it works great for a touch-less dry. Wife thinks that's crazy too. 😀 Also spending way too many hours watching Chicago Auto Pros videos!
I noticed the same area on the trunk and asked my dealers service area about it. The guy I worked with also has a K5 and had the same concern. He found out it’s by design.

·
Registered
2021 Ebony Black GT w/GT1
14 Posts
I noticed the same area on the trunk and asked my dealers service area about it. The guy I worked with also has a K5 and had the same concern. He found out it’s by design.
Seems insane, but thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT-Line
26 Posts
Just got done doing a ceramic coat from chemical guys on my k5 came out great I think see how well it really works with this rain we are getting later today and tomorrow

1 - 20 of 36 Posts