Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, winter is coming and I was looking for winter tires/new rims for the K5 GT. I was just wondering what other specs would fit other than 245/40R19?

Was looking to stay within the 19" size and was curious if anyone has fit any other tire sizes? Checked a tire size calculator and saw that 255/40 or 235/40 on 19s would fit but my bro mentioned that there's going to be some tires that'll fit that's not stated on the calculator.

·
Registered
78 Posts
255 as a winter tire??

I'm confident an 18" wheel will fit, possibly even a 17". Stinger gt-line (2.5T) uses the same brake rotors - 13.6", comes stock with 18" wheels.

A 225/50/18 would be marginally larger in terms of diameter to the 245/40/19. Barely 1mph difference. For winter tires you want a narrower tire to cut through the snow and larger side walls to minimize damage from unseen potholes. Load rating appears to be 98-102 which should exceed whatever was stock on the car.

Winter tires are not meant to be performance tires and must be driven as such.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not sure what site you referenced but this one is great Tire Size Calculator

You want to stay with the green diameter to keep the speedometer as accurate as possible. There may be more sizes that fit but this is pretty thorough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what site you referenced but this one is great Tire Size Calculator

You want to stay with the green diameter to keep the speedometer as accurate as possible. There may be more sizes that fit but this is pretty thorough.
Yeah I used this exact same site, but I was just wondering if the bigger sizes will have some tire rubbing issues, wanted to see if anyone has put on a bigger tire on this car.

255 as a winter tire??

I'm confident an 18" wheel will fit, possibly even a 17". Stinger gt-line (2.5T) uses the same brake rotors - 13.6", comes stock with 18" wheels.

A 225/50/18 would be marginally larger in terms of diameter to the 245/40/19. Barely 1mph difference. For winter tires you want a narrower tire to cut through the snow and larger side walls to minimize damage from unseen potholes. Load rating appears to be 98-102 which should exceed whatever was stock on the car.

Winter tires are not meant to be performance tires and must be driven as such.
Haha yeah wasn't quite serious about the 255 for winters since I just quickly saw that on the market! And like what @1st K5 said before in a different post he had 18"(?) as winter tires dont quite remember. But yeah I was looking for another 19" because I wanted to buy new rims anyways but didnt want to go any smaller, but also looking for winter tires at the same time, was thinking maybe I can get a good combo w/ some nice rims and winter tires but I haven't seen any 245/40s or other smaller sizes only 255s.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why would you want nice rims for driving in the winter/snow/salt?

I suppose the other option is to repurpose the stock wheels for winter use and get something else for the other 3 seasons. Keep in mind, 19" tires will cost more than 18".

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey guys, winter is coming and I was looking for winter tires/new rims for the K5 GT. I was just wondering what other specs would fit other than 245/40R19?

Was looking to stay within the 19" size and was curious if anyone has fit any other tire sizes? Checked a tire size calculator and saw that 255/40 or 235/40 on 19s would fit but my bro mentioned that there's going to be some tires that'll fit that's not stated on the calculator.
I am interested in getting wider tires. Can we get to 45 or 50 in the stock 19s w/out rubbing?

If not can you increase the offset on an aftermarket rim to get the space without looking goofy? Something like what BMW does on the M5 to get more space for width.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would you want nice rims for driving in the winter/snow/salt?

I suppose the other option is to repurpose the stock wheels for winter use and get something else for the other 3 seasons. Keep in mind, 19" tires will cost more than 18".
LOL definitely not using the nice rims for Winter. You're right was planning on swapping the tires on the stock rims for winter instead and have the nicer rims for summer. I was just thinking maybe I can kill 2 birds with one stone if I find some winter tires on some nice rim, but again all I can find are 255s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts