Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'21 K5 GT-Line AWD with about 6900 miles.

Just started today. Around 25-35mph and up, a noticable vibration starts and can be heard/felt through the shift knob.

Doesn't seem to increase with speed, the sound stays constant. And it doesn't fade with slowing, it abruptly drops off, gone.

This car made weird sounds all winter with sub zero temps. Usually went away with a short drive (like something just needed to warm up and expand). But the temps have been in the 40s here in Iowa for this.

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow for a warranty claim.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kia is keeping my car overnight to compare it to a new AWD car in the morning. The tech was able to recreate the sound and vibration, so that's good for warranty work.

They also determined that a fuel line under the driver door was missing some insulation tubing, causing an annoying rattle/vibration at idle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After comparing it to a loaner and putting it on a lift and running it, the techs are convinced that it's a left rear wheel bearing.

I remain skeptical, but they are going to replace it and we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So they replaced the wheel bearing.

The next day while driving into town, the car made a very similar sound twice, albeit probably 25% less intense.

Since then it has not done it.

So not entirely sure what to think but I'm glad it's gone for now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

The sound is back. It's not really as predicable this time, but as loud as it was before.

To me it sounds like it's coming from the front left or directly in front of the infotainment system. Still felt heavily in the shift knob.

I have an appointment scheduled for them to check it out. Hoping it's not the transmission, but the service manager said that they just replace the entire transmission instead of tear down and rebuild, if it comes to that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer has had my car for a week now.

Finally called to let me know that it's the front transfer case of the AWD system that is causing the sound.

Currently waiting on the regional Kia manager to approve the warranty application to order the new transfer case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the car back FINALLY. After some questionable shit with the dealer, took the car home.

Couple hours later, decided to go to dinner. Hop in the car, hit the nearest street that's 35mph and WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT THE BUZZING RETURNS.

I'm getting quite sick of this, honestly. They had the car for 3+ weeks and replaced the transfer case or whatever and the sound remains.

I'm calling them tomorrow to basically demand that they replace the entire transmission at this point. It's the only other thing it could be.

I want to sell this car and get a truck at this point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts