Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'21 K5 GT-Line AWD with about 6900 miles.

Just started today. Around 25-35mph and up, a noticable vibration starts and can be heard/felt through the shift knob.

Doesn't seem to increase with speed, the sound stays constant. And it doesn't fade with slowing, it abruptly drops off, gone.

This car made weird sounds all winter with sub zero temps. Usually went away with a short drive (like something just needed to warm up and expand). But the temps have been in the 40s here in Iowa for this.

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow for a warranty claim.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kia is keeping my car overnight to compare it to a new AWD car in the morning. The tech was able to recreate the sound and vibration, so that's good for warranty work.

They also determined that a fuel line under the driver door was missing some insulation tubing, causing an annoying rattle/vibration at idle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After comparing it to a loaner and putting it on a lift and running it, the techs are convinced that it's a left rear wheel bearing.

I remain skeptical, but they are going to replace it and we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So they replaced the wheel bearing.

The next day while driving into town, the car made a very similar sound twice, albeit probably 25% less intense.

Since then it has not done it.

So not entirely sure what to think but I'm glad it's gone for now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

The sound is back. It's not really as predicable this time, but as loud as it was before.

To me it sounds like it's coming from the front left or directly in front of the infotainment system. Still felt heavily in the shift knob.

I have an appointment scheduled for them to check it out. Hoping it's not the transmission, but the service manager said that they just replace the entire transmission instead of tear down and rebuild, if it comes to that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer has had my car for a week now.

Finally called to let me know that it's the front transfer case of the AWD system that is causing the sound.

Currently waiting on the regional Kia manager to approve the warranty application to order the new transfer case.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the car back FINALLY. After some questionable **** with the dealer, took the car home.

Couple hours later, decided to go to dinner. Hop in the car, hit the nearest street that's 35mph and WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT THE BUZZING RETURNS.

I'm getting quite sick of this, honestly. They had the car for 3+ weeks and replaced the transfer case or whatever and the sound remains.

I'm calling them tomorrow to basically demand that they replace the entire transmission at this point. It's the only other thing it could be.

I want to sell this car and get a truck at this point.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't forgotten about this thread.

The dealer has the car again. Will update with what they find.

I've just been driving around with that awful sound because I haven't had time to let the dealer keep the car for that long again.

I'm also selling the car once I get it back. Getting a new Ford Maverick instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have they figured out the problem?? I just bought a brand new 2022 gt line AWD and there replaced my transfer case and it's still making a winding sounds from like 40 to 47MPH and you can really hear it at 83/84 and up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have they figured out the problem?? I just bought a brand new 2022 gt line AWD and there replaced my transfer case and it's still making a winding sounds from like 40 to 47MPH and you can really hear it at 83/84 and up.
I am having this same exact issues down to the exact same speeds. The dealership said another car on their lot that was FWD made the noise also so they said it might be a characteristic of the vehicle. I am a little skeptical on that because my best friend has a 2022 FWD gt line that makes no noise at all. I really want to know what this issue is, maybe a bad batch of transmissions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having this same exact issues down to the exact same speeds. The dealership said another car on their lot that was FWD made the noise also so they said it might be a characteristic of the vehicle. I am a little skeptical on that because my best friend has a 2022 FWD gt line that makes no noise at all. I really want to know what this issue is, maybe a bad batch of transmissions.
My car is currently at the dealership with no time frame of when it will be done. I test drove another AWD and a fwd k5 I never heard any noise. I was wondering the same thing if it came from the same bad batch. I can keep you updated when I know more

·
Registered
9 Posts
My car is currently at the dealership with no time frame of when it will be done. I test drove another AWD and a fwd k5 I never heard any noise. I was wondering the same thing if it came from the same bad batch. I can keep you updated when I know more
Hopefully they fix it. I love my k5 so far except for the damn whining noise. I noticed it kinda shutters also when I give it a little gas going up a hill at about 70-80.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They also told me they test drove two other k5 and they made the noise to which I don't believe them because I drove two and then never made a sound
Yeah that’s not normal gear noise. Also the dealership said the same thing about another car they had making the same noise when I took mine in. But my buddy has one and his is fine. So it sounds like they don’t want to do any actual troubleshooting on it. In my experience it sounds like some bearing is bad internally in the final drive of the transmission or the gear lash is set incorrectly. I might take mine to another dealership soon since mine seems to be getting louder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah that’s not normal gear noise. Also the dealership said the same thing about another car they had making the same noise when I took mine in. But my buddy has one and his is fine. So it sounds like they don’t want to do any actual troubleshooting on it. In my experience it sounds like some bearing is bad internally in the final drive of the transmission or the gear lash is set incorrectly. I might take mine to another dealership soon since mine seems to be getting louder.
I contacted Kia so we'll see if I hear anything. Let me know if you go to another dealership and if they say anything different

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,230 Posts
I honestly wish I had something helpful to provide but...I really don't. 😅 Through out the times driving my car, I haven't experienced this kind of noise coming from the car either.

It's really hard to pinpoint what the noise might be from without hearing it. Perhaps someone can provide a video on it happening and help us clue in on what it could be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I honestly wish I had something helpful to provide but...I really don't. 😅 Through out the times driving my car, I haven't experienced this kind of noise coming from the car either.

It's really hard to pinpoint what the noise might be from without hearing it. Perhaps someone can provide a video on it happening and help us clue in on what it could be.
I will try to get a good video tomorrow on my way to work. I noticed the noise is still present when I shift the car into neutral while it’s making the noise and does not get quieter. It gets louder the longer I drive the car and becomes apparent at lower speeds.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Here is a 16 second clip at around 83-86mph. I posted it on Imgur. Towards then end it’s gets really bad. That is when it’s the loudest. Phone doesn’t pick up how loud it actually gets.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts