Kia K5 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
846 Posts
I'll have to wait until. I get home to listen to the noise proper but I believe I can still hear the whirring on my phone.

I'll check out my car and see if I can hear anything similar.

Do you think it could also be wind noises at certain speeds causing it? Maybe an under panel and/or part aligned at just the right spot that's generating the noise.

·
Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
104 Posts
It’s looking like it’s the awd models, doesn’t seem to matter if it’s lxs or gt line. Mine is an lxs but the other two have the gt line. Not sure if anyone with just fwd has the issue or not.
Yeah, I just noticed the title of the video was LXS and wondered because my GT Line doesn't have this issue. I wasn't sure of the other trim levels of the AWD K5 that were having issues. It sounds like transfer case whine in the video, but OP of this thread mentioned having the same issue after that part, the transfer case, was replaced.

Edit: I looked, I'm oblivious, the OP was GT Line 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, I just noticed the title of the video was LXS and wondered because my GT Line doesn't have this issue. I wasn't sure of the other trim levels of the AWD K5 that were having issues. It sounds like transfer case whine in the video, but OP of this thread mentioned having the same issue after that part, the transfer case, was replaced.

Edit: I looked, I'm oblivious, the OP was GT Line 🤷🏼‍♂️
I’m probably gonna take mine to another dealer to get it looked at again. I’ll keep taking it in till it’s fixed. The noise is driving me crazy. I’m thinking it’s the transmission. But who knows.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm getting the exact same noise. It's usually only noticeable on mine, from 51-54mph. I took it into the dealership, and their first thought was a wheel bearing, but after ruling that out, they assumed something with the turbo, though they didn't look into it. I may have to take it in and ask them to look into the transfer case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Based on what I heard in that video, mine is different.

Mine isn't so much a howling sound as it is like a buzzing. Like if you've ever sat in an old vehicle with a manual and held the clutch in while in gear. There's that like rubbing sound/feeling that comes from the transmission.

I don't know if my issue is the transmission, as it isn't rpm dependent at all. It'll make the same noise at the same volume no matter what I gear I have selected. Could be some final drive stuff I guess.

Kia still has my car. Naturally they cannot recreate the noise and the service manager who did hear it, quit. The car won't make the noise for a couple days after sitting for a couple days. Getting quite fed up with the lack of communication and them taking forever to even inspect the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is a 16 second clip at around 83-86mph. I posted it on Imgur. Towards then end it’s gets really bad. That is when it’s the loudest. Phone doesn’t pick up how loud it actually gets.
Kia told me to contact another dealership which I will be doing in the morning. Might even be trading my car off and just taking the lost on it. I can't stand having the whinny being louder than my music and I drive interstate for job everyday it makes me stressed more than my job does.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is a 16 second clip at around 83-86mph. I posted it on Imgur. Towards then end it’s gets really bad. That is when it’s the loudest. Phone doesn’t pick up how loud it actually gets.
That's what mine sounds like. I'm taking it to another dealership since Kia told me to. I'm going to take the clip you made with me just in case they can't get it to do it. I may try to get my own audio of it to

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got mine back from the dealership with a new transfer case. It seems to be not that loud anymore around 42-45. I can still hear a noise above 80 but again not that loud. Imma keep driving it and see if it comes back fully or maybe I’m just imagining it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got mine back from the dealership with a new transfer case. It seems to be not that loud anymore around 42-45. I can still hear a noise above 80 but again not that loud. Imma keep driving it and see if it comes back fully or maybe I’m just imagining it.
That's what happened when they replaced mine. Still thinking about contacting a lawyer about it. I can't really trade the car in and take the lost in it.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
846 Posts
It's the part where the AWD system transfers power from the engine to the rear axle. It's usually the place where the mechanical engine to axle connection and engagement is located at.

I'm wonder if it could be the transmission? Like maybe the flywheel for the automatic trans is making the noise or something. I'm just speculating, though, and by no means an expert mechanic. 😅

21 - 35 of 35 Posts