Kia K5 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
'21 K5 GT-Line AWD with about 6900 miles.

Just started today. Around 25-35mph and up, a noticable vibration starts and can be heard/felt through the shift knob.

Doesn't seem to increase with speed, the sound stays constant. And it doesn't fade with slowing, it abruptly drops off, gone.

This car made weird sounds all winter with sub zero temps. Usually went away with a short drive (like something just needed to warm up and expand). But the temps have been in the 40s here in Iowa for this.

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow for a warranty claim.
What was the outcome of this? I am having the same issue with my K5! Started in September and getting worse all the time. The dealership had my car twice in the past month and cannot diagnose the problem. I am very unsatisfied with it. Also, on mine it makes a popping like sound which is coming somewhere out from the firewall just before the whining sound stops. Did they figure out yours? Apparently my dealership cannot figure this out. My opinion is bad transmissions.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
What was the outcome of this? I am having the same issue with my K5! Started in September and getting worse all the time. The dealership had my car twice in the past month and cannot diagnose the problem. I am very unsatisfied with it. Also, on mine it makes a popping like sound which is coming somewhere out from the firewall just before the whining sound stops. Did they figure out yours? Apparently my dealership cannot figure this out. My opinion is bad transmissions.
Seems to be within the AWD axle system going to the rear. Based on what they did to my old car. See my previous post.

· Registered
2 Posts
Based on what I heard in that video, mine is different.

Mine isn't so much a howling sound as it is like a buzzing. Like if you've ever sat in an old vehicle with a manual and held the clutch in while in gear. There's that like rubbing sound/feeling that comes from the transmission.

I don't know if my issue is the transmission, as it isn't rpm dependent at all. It'll make the same noise at the same volume no matter what I gear I have selected. Could be some final drive stuff I guess.

Kia still has my car. Naturally they cannot recreate the noise and the service manager who did hear it, quit. The car won't make the noise for a couple days after sitting for a couple days. Getting quite fed up with the lack of communication and them taking forever to even inspect the car.
Sounds like you had the same bad luck as I did. Dealership told me they drove it 100 miles and never heard it. I know that is a lie. Immediately after I get it back I hear the noise. Also a vibrating and rubbing/dragging feeling which sounds like from transmission. Lower speeds more noticeable. 15 mph it abruptly stops. Very aggravated over this as its been in twice and not fixed. Taking it to a different dealership next week.

· Registered
2022 K5 GT Line Premium AWD
155 Posts
I'm going to ask the dealership about this, when I go in for my upcoming 16000 mile service.. And see what they say, bc it's noticeable at 84 pretty much any given day. Haven't had any issues, other than the sound being annoying

· Registered
4 Posts
2021 GT-Line AWD. 10,200 miles.
Just started having the exact same issues as the original poster about a week ago. Noise starts up at around 25mph.
Have a service appointment in a few weeks. Hopefully all goes well.
Update: the dealership finally located the issue on my K5. The entire driveshaft is getting replaced and I am getting a rental in the meantime as the K5 is unsafe to drive.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, I joined to comment on this topic. Bought a new K5 GT line AWD and from the drive home I heard the same noises described here at 43 mph and 85-86 mph.
The dealer said it was the transfer case that needed replacement, and apparently they ordered the only one in the country at the time. Going to pick the car up tonight, so I’ll try to update if it fixed it!
The dealer was very professional and apologetic, obviously fixing the issue at no cost to me and covering my rental for the week.

· Registered
155 Posts
Keep us posted. I'm still seeing dealerships replacing everything from the transfer case, the drive shaft, even the whole transmission. I'm still waiting for them to figure out the actual issue so I don't waste time without my car, and waste replacement parts, which there seem to be a shortage of

· Registered
2 Posts
Keep us posted. I'm still seeing dealerships replacing everything from the transfer case, the drive shaft, even the whole transmission. I'm still waiting for them to figure out the actual issue so I don't waste time without my car, and waste replacement parts, which there seem to be a shortage of
Wow didn’t know that, thats pretty defeating.
I picked the car up and it seemed like the noise was gone, but 10 miles later, the noise is back. Same MPH, about 43-45 and 83. I’ve also started to notice a vibration in the steering wheel under 40. Nothing crazy, but it doesn’t drive like a new car.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I was the first one to have all of the stuff replaced.

Wheel bearings.
Transfer case.
Finally the drive shafts, and that's what fixed the problem.

· Registered
155 Posts

Wheel bearings.
Transfer case.
Must have missed those posts. Was it the main drive shaft for the car to the rear? Or the rear shafts out to the hubs? I'll have to see about getting an appointment set up

· Registered
2 Posts

Wheel bearings.
Transfer case.
Thanks for the update! I have the issue of whine/wind/vacuum noise at certain speeds (around 45mph & 83+) I had a miserable experience with my local dealer. Had my car 20days while waiting for the Transfer Case replacement and they refused to let me drive the vehicle or get a free rental even though my car was brand new with 400miles on it.. on top of that I told them I know the Transfer Case wouldn’t fix the issue (thanks to this thread) but they “had to do what Kia was telling them to do first.” Shockingly (kidding) the noise was still there but slightly quieter even though they said it was gone completely. It’s been 1-2 weeks and the noise is completely back. I wonder if I recommend the drive shafts that they’ll actually fix it. But It does seem like your issue may be different than some of ours? Or maybe just a worse case of it? My vehicle doesn’t vibrate just has the annoying high pitch noise. I’m going to be taking it to a different/bigger dealership a bit further way soon. Hoping for a better experience! My vehicle is the 2022 AWD GT-Line

· Registered
5 Posts
I just joined this forum because I am having the same issue. I purchased my car in Late January of 2021. As of November of 2021 I started to have this exact problem. The dealer first told me my tiers were bad. After I went back in and told them that is impossible they replaced my front brakes. This did nothing. I have sent this link to my dealership in hopes that they will see what the problem is. But I am being told that KIA has no answers for this. Going to take this up to management to make this right. I want my car fixed If all we need to do is replace the Drive Shaft then this needs to be done. Has anyone else had success getting their car fixed?

Thanks

· Registered
4 Posts
Update: the dealership finally located the issue on my K5. The entire driveshaft is getting replaced and I am getting a rental in the meantime as the K5 is unsafe to drive.
Final update: I finally got my car back after it was with the dealer for a month. They replaced the rear propeller drive shaft. After driving for a day and a half at various speeds, I have experienced no issues.
Happy to finally be done with this. I hope the rest of you find similar success.

· Registered
5 Posts
Final update: I finally got my car back after it was with the dealer for a month. They replaced the rear propeller drive shaft. After driving for a day and a half at various speeds, I have experienced no issues.
Happy to finally be done with this. I hope the rest of you find similar success.
My dealer is going to call me today. The service department was really no help. I gave them a link to this forum and they keep telling me they have no answers and KIA has no answers. I hope to get solid answers today. What dealer did your repair?

· Registered
4 Posts
My dealer is going to call me today. The service department was really no help. I gave them a link to this forum and they keep telling me they have no answers and KIA has no answers. I hope to get solid answers today. What dealer did your repair?
The dealer I dealt with is South Hills Kia near Pittsburgh, PA.
Phone # is 724-941-4300. Warning though, the service department almost never picks up the phone.

· Registered
5 Posts
The dealer I dealt with is South Hills Kia near Pittsburgh, PA.
Phone # is 724-941-4300. Warning though, the service department almost never picks up the phone.
When do they ever lol, I would just give this info to my dealer and have them call. I already did all the researched work to figure this out. I had the car back 4 times and they couldn't figure it out. Tried to sell me new tires and blamed the Chicago pot holes lol. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
2021 K5 EX AWD
58 Posts
I too have had this noise happen on my 21 AWD EX. Mostly at lower speeds, like school zone speeds, it goes away. I haven't heard it in some time. It would mostly happen when it was cold out (I live in the Canadian Rockies) I asked my dealership about it and they wont do anything unless I pay $150 for diagnoses. I haven't heard the noise in a few weeks

· Registered
1 Posts
So glad I found this post. I have been having this issue since crossing the 12k mile mark in my 2021 GT-Line AWD. Mine mainly happens when slowing down, 25-15mph, I know it isn't the breaks as it happens when I take my foot off the accelerator and the car slows itself down. I took it to a local dealer and of course, they couldn't replicate the issue. Contacting another dealer today. I commute 75 miles a day, if this is a drivetrain issue not sure how safe it is to commute in.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
What dealer did you have this done at?. I would love to have my dealership call yours. My dealership is telling me KIA has no answers for this issue.

Thanks in advance

For anyone that may still care, it was the Billion Kia in Iowa City, IA.

As far as I know, it was the AWD shafts going front to rear. Not the shafts from diff to wheels.

I no longer own the car, but I know the person who bought it from me and they said it hasn't come back in over 2000 miles now.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts