Kia K5 Forum banner

Whirring/Buzzing heard and felt from center console

18K views 70 replies 19 participants last post by  YetisEverywhere 
#1 ·
'21 K5 GT-Line AWD with about 6900 miles.

Just started today. Around 25-35mph and up, a noticable vibration starts and can be heard/felt through the shift knob.

Doesn't seem to increase with speed, the sound stays constant. And it doesn't fade with slowing, it abruptly drops off, gone.

This car made weird sounds all winter with sub zero temps. Usually went away with a short drive (like something just needed to warm up and expand). But the temps have been in the 40s here in Iowa for this.

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow for a warranty claim.

#2 ·
Kia is keeping my car overnight to compare it to a new AWD car in the morning. The tech was able to recreate the sound and vibration, so that's good for warranty work.

They also determined that a fuel line under the driver door was missing some insulation tubing, causing an annoying rattle/vibration at idle.

#4 ·
So they replaced the wheel bearing.

The next day while driving into town, the car made a very similar sound twice, albeit probably 25% less intense.

Since then it has not done it.

So not entirely sure what to think but I'm glad it's gone for now.

#5 ·
Update:

The sound is back. It's not really as predicable this time, but as loud as it was before.

To me it sounds like it's coming from the front left or directly in front of the infotainment system. Still felt heavily in the shift knob.

I have an appointment scheduled for them to check it out. Hoping it's not the transmission, but the service manager said that they just replace the entire transmission instead of tear down and rebuild, if it comes to that.

#7 ·
Dealer has had my car for a week now.

Finally called to let me know that it's the front transfer case of the AWD system that is causing the sound.

Currently waiting on the regional Kia manager to approve the warranty application to order the new transfer case.

#8 ·
Got the car back FINALLY. After some questionable **** with the dealer, took the car home.

Couple hours later, decided to go to dinner. Hop in the car, hit the nearest street that's 35mph and WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT THE BUZZING RETURNS.

I'm getting quite sick of this, honestly. They had the car for 3+ weeks and replaced the transfer case or whatever and the sound remains.

I'm calling them tomorrow to basically demand that they replace the entire transmission at this point. It's the only other thing it could be.

I want to sell this car and get a truck at this point.

#9 ·
I haven't forgotten about this thread.

The dealer has the car again. Will update with what they find.

I've just been driving around with that awful sound because I haven't had time to let the dealer keep the car for that long again.

I'm also selling the car once I get it back. Getting a new Ford Maverick instead.

#11 ·
I am having this same exact issues down to the exact same speeds. The dealership said another car on their lot that was FWD made the noise also so they said it might be a characteristic of the vehicle. I am a little skeptical on that because my best friend has a 2022 FWD gt line that makes no noise at all. I really want to know what this issue is, maybe a bad batch of transmissions.

#18 ·
I honestly wish I had something helpful to provide but...I really don't. 😅 Through out the times driving my car, I haven't experienced this kind of noise coming from the car either.

It's really hard to pinpoint what the noise might be from without hearing it. Perhaps someone can provide a video on it happening and help us clue in on what it could be.

#19 ·
I will try to get a good video tomorrow on my way to work. I noticed the noise is still present when I shift the car into neutral while it’s making the noise and does not get quieter. It gets louder the longer I drive the car and becomes apparent at lower speeds.

#23 ·
I'll have to wait until. I get home to listen to the noise proper but I believe I can still hear the whirring on my phone.

I'll check out my car and see if I can hear anything similar.

Do you think it could also be wind noises at certain speeds causing it? Maybe an under panel and/or part aligned at just the right spot that's generating the noise.

#27 ·
I'm getting the exact same noise. It's usually only noticeable on mine, from 51-54mph. I took it into the dealership, and their first thought was a wheel bearing, but after ruling that out, they assumed something with the turbo, though they didn't look into it. I may have to take it in and ask them to look into the transfer case.

#28 ·
Based on what I heard in that video, mine is different.

Mine isn't so much a howling sound as it is like a buzzing. Like if you've ever sat in an old vehicle with a manual and held the clutch in while in gear. There's that like rubbing sound/feeling that comes from the transmission.

I don't know if my issue is the transmission, as it isn't rpm dependent at all. It'll make the same noise at the same volume no matter what I gear I have selected. Could be some final drive stuff I guess.

Kia still has my car. Naturally they cannot recreate the noise and the service manager who did hear it, quit. The car won't make the noise for a couple days after sitting for a couple days. Getting quite fed up with the lack of communication and them taking forever to even inspect the car.

#43 ·
Based on what I heard in that video, mine is different.

Mine isn't so much a howling sound as it is like a buzzing. Like if you've ever sat in an old vehicle with a manual and held the clutch in while in gear. There's that like rubbing sound/feeling that comes from the transmission.

I don't know if my issue is the transmission, as it isn't rpm dependent at all. It'll make the same noise at the same volume no matter what I gear I have selected. Could be some final drive stuff I guess.

Kia still has my car. Naturally they cannot recreate the noise and the service manager who did hear it, quit. The car won't make the noise for a couple days after sitting for a couple days. Getting quite fed up with the lack of communication and them taking forever to even inspect the car.
Sounds like you had the same bad luck as I did. Dealership told me they drove it 100 miles and never heard it. I know that is a lie. Immediately after I get it back I hear the noise. Also a vibrating and rubbing/dragging feeling which sounds like from transmission. Lower speeds more noticeable. 15 mph it abruptly stops. Very aggravated over this as its been in twice and not fixed. Taking it to a different dealership next week.

#35 ·
It's the part where the AWD system transfers power from the engine to the rear axle. It's usually the place where the mechanical engine to axle connection and engagement is located at.

I'm wonder if it could be the transmission? Like maybe the flywheel for the automatic trans is making the noise or something. I'm just speculating, though, and by no means an expert mechanic. 😅

#37 ·
Just bought a Kia K5 2022 GT-Line AWD and drove it home 5-hours away. I am having the same issue as well…whining noise at 45mph and then 83mph+. I had to stay at 82mph the whole way home because it was giving me a headache…so frustrating! It doesn’t seem like anyone has found an answer to this yet? I’m not sure what to do.

#39 ·
Any of you guys hear anything from the dealers about this yet? I’ve driven other 22 AWD K5 and they are quiet. I’ve driven one that has had the transmission and the transfer case replaced and it still howls/whines the same as before repairs. Curious to see what info y’all have heard on your cars. Thanks everyone.

#40 ·
The dealer ended up replacing the entire axle system that goes from the front transmission back to the rear differential.

The noise has yet to return. I'll try to remember to post back here if the sound returns.

Edit: I'm assuming that includes all bearings as well. I no longer own the car, only going by what the new owner told me so I can at least update it here.

#41 ·
'21 K5 GT-Line AWD with about 6900 miles.

Just started today. Around 25-35mph and up, a noticable vibration starts and can be heard/felt through the shift knob.

Doesn't seem to increase with speed, the sound stays constant. And it doesn't fade with slowing, it abruptly drops off, gone.

This car made weird sounds all winter with sub zero temps. Usually went away with a short drive (like something just needed to warm up and expand). But the temps have been in the 40s here in Iowa for this.

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow for a warranty claim.
What was the outcome of this? I am having the same issue with my K5! Started in September and getting worse all the time. The dealership had my car twice in the past month and cannot diagnose the problem. I am very unsatisfied with it. Also, on mine it makes a popping like sound which is coming somewhere out from the firewall just before the whining sound stops. Did they figure out yours? Apparently my dealership cannot figure this out. My opinion is bad transmissions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.