Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys!

Recently got the K5 GT, and I noticed some sort of wind or "air" noise whenever I accelerated hard. At first I thought it could be the "fake engine" sound, but I turned that off. I then thought it could be the turbo, but I refuse to believe that I can actually hear my turbo spooling up cos that would be too sick. Its coming from the front, behind the steering wheel.

Do you GT owners know what I'm talking about and if you've had this "issue?" I'm just worried that it could be something bad haha.

Edit: just want to say that the wind doesn't sound like its seeping through, more like a sound when a lot of air passes you, like riding a bike.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
610 Posts
Check the windshield trim. Make sure it's not partially clipped somewhere. Haven't noticed anything on mine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the windshield trim. Make sure it's not partially clipped somewhere. Haven't noticed anything on mine.
Hmm I don't notice anything odd or lose on the windshield. Car is still under 500Km we'll see if it changes once the break-in periods done. Or might bring it back to the dealer before that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mine whistles like a tornado over 90 mph if the crosswinds are right. Other times I ride it to 110 and it's nothing but glorious turbo whine and that awesome rumble from the exhaust resonator.

If you haven't done it, drive your GT on a calm quiet day without the radio on and just listen to the car work. It just sounds beautiful. I love it. I commute 2 hours one way 2 days week and spend at least an hour listening to the car work.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
610 Posts
Mine whistles like a tornado over 90 mph if the crosswinds are right. Otherwise there's times I ride it to 110 and it's nothing but glorious turbo whine and that awesome rumble from the exhaust resonator.

If you haven't done it, drive your GT on a calm quiet day without the radio on and just listen to the car work. It just sounds beautiful. I love it. I commute 2 hours one way 2 days week and spend at least an hour listening to the car work.
Lol.... My radio is Rarely on. Love listening to the car. Makes driving more " involved".

·
Registered
205 Posts
So gabgab is probably hearing the intake system. I am sitting in mine now with it in park and if I run it up to about 3k rpm and hold it you do hear a wind/ocean waves kind of roar back in there behind the steering column, and that is in a direct line with the intake pieces and parts.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT
610 Posts
So gabgab is probably hearing the intake system. I am sitting in mine now with it in park and if I run it up to about 3k rpm and hold it you do hear a wind/ocean waves kind of roar back in there behind the steering column, and that is in a direct line with the intake pieces and parts.
Can you hear a clicking sound when you're around that range? Maybe it's the high fuel pressure pump.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Can you hear a clicking sound when you're around that range? Maybe it's the high fuel pressure pump.
No click just a distant rushing noise like a waterfall, waves, or wind from inside a brick building. Not going say turbo for sure but certainly could be from some portion of the intake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah thats exactly what im hearing and in that general area. Noticed that I only hear the noise when the torque bar goes up! Haha thanks for confirming glad its just the sound of the car LOL. Very very surprised I'm able to hear the intake. This is my first car with a turbo so I wasnt sure at first.

I drive 2hrs back and forth from work 2-3 times a week. Will definitely try driving with no music!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also any of guys notice that the car doesnt seem to build up boost? I've driven in Sport mode a couple of times and I never see the boost bar go up

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT line Wolf Gray/Red
59 Posts
Also any of guys notice that the car doesnt seem to build up boost? I've driven in Sport mode a couple of times and I never see the boost bar go up
Have dealer check for loose intake piping to turbo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts