Kia K5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently got the K5 Wolf Gray AWD - LOVE IT.

This morning I went to the tint shop, and as the guy was walking the car to make sure everything would work. He called me over to tell me a potential issue.

The back window - he said where the brake light is on top is an issue. He would either have to remove the roof of the car to tuck in the tint, or he would tint around the brake light, which might not look as good.

Did anyone come across this issue? or If it wasn't brought to your attention, which route did your tint shop take?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
166 Posts
The tinter went around the brake light housing for me but I've seen others either shimmy the tint up into the housing or pull the back of liner down and remove the housing temporarily for the full window tint. I ended up having to partially loosen the housing anyway to clean off the cleaner residue used for the tinting anyway. lol

Here's the vid I used to find out how to get to it. Tools I used was a plastic clip remover (to minimize damage to the headliner) and a small ratchet wrench with a 10mm socket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tinter went around the brake light housing for me but I've seen others either shimmy the tint up into the housing or pull the back of liner down and remove the housing temporarily for the full window tint. I ended up having to partially loosen the housing anyway to clean off the cleaner residue used for the tinting anyway. lol

Here's the vid I used to find out how to get to it. Tools I used was a plastic clip remover (to minimize damage to the headliner) and a small ratchet wrench with a 10mm socket.
Thank you - I decided to come home and post on the forum to ask before I made any decisions. Must admit, I was bummed leaving and not having it done.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
166 Posts
It's cool, the K5 is still relatively new so not many people are familiar with taking it apart yet especially in the professional field outside of dealers. It was the same for the tinter I went to.

Btw if you're doing the front windshield too and need to take apart the housing safely, let me know. I couldn't find any reliable vids out there to safely pull it off without breaking the clips so I ended up figuring out myself. It's all tool-less and easy and fast to do. I can show you the process on how to remove it if you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's cool, the K5 is still relatively new so not many people are familiar with taking it apart yet especially in the professional field outside of dealers. It was the same for the tinter I went to.

Btw if you're doing the front windshield too and need to take apart the housing safely, let me know. I couldn't find any reliable vids out there to safely pull it off without breaking the clips so I ended up figuring out myself. It's all tool-less and easy and fast to do. I can show you the process on how to remove it if you want.
As much as I want to do the front window.. I never do it. I don't need any more reason for the police to pull me over. Haha

Thank you.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
166 Posts
Np lol

It's technically not legal here either but being in Florida, it's hard not to. I went with the expensive ceramic tint in a light tint. It still has a good amount of UV protection even over the metallic in the same % but with the kind of sun we get, it's hard to tell I got any tinting done on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's def illegal here in Cali to have any tint on driver and passenger, but tbh, almost everyone has it.

My main tint show I go to is booked til middle of June. Went to another with good reviews, which is how I found out about this back light issue. But, the guy was using 8% as the darkest.. eh, rather get the 5%.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts