Kia K5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any luck with the iOS 14.3 update ?
I have a 2021 Elentra and have the same problem has you guys I did the Update today and I did a half an hour drive to work and had no issue ! So I’ll wait and see a couple days to see if it will comeback . Hopefully it’s behind us it’s so frustrating!

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid EX - Gravity Blue
5 Posts
I just bought a 2021 Sorento Hybrid with wireless CarPlay. I’m getting the same disconnect messages randomly and constantly. I have an iPhone 6S and 8 and both are on 14.3. It really sucks because you can’t even use a wired USB connection you HAVE to do it wirelessly and it is completely useless. I don’t think this is an iOS issue anymore. It seems be sticking around regardless of iOS version. Hopefully if enough people get dealers to open tickets on it Kia will roll out a hot fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don’t want to speak too soon, but since updating this morning, during my 20 min drive home from work, it ran as it should.
Is it still working for you? I just installed the 14.4 public beta and the Sorento is still disconnecting mine. I submitted feedback to Apple via the public beta portal. Hoping to get it on their radar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It’s not android it’s Apple phones
I'm not so sure. Many other car brands that support wireless ACP (Audi, BMW, etc.) aren't reporting the same problems as Kia, Hyundai, and Genesis. Android doesn't use the ACP protocol when communicating with the head unit. Kia may have misimplemented their end of the ACP protocol or may be too sensitive to a momentary loss of connectivity caused by interference, etc.

There are reports from the land down under that Kia has a fix for this problem - at least for the Picanto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do not have wireless in my EX and it is NOT the Iphone cord. Car Play randomly disconnects and then might come back at any time.
KIA says they know of the problem and suggests it is APPLE. Who is one to believe?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do not have wireless in my EX and it is NOT the Iphone cord. Car Play randomly disconnects and then might come back at any time.
KIA says they know of the problem and suggests it is APPLE. Who is one to believe?
I’ve had a ticket open with Kia America HQ about the wireless CarPlay disconnecting issue. Sunday they told me they expect to have a fix available this week for dealers to download. You’ll need to go into a dealer to let them update it. Apparently Apple changed something with iOS14 and didn’t tell Kia so they’re having to update everyone’s infotainment system. I scheduled an appointment for Jan 18. Hoping they will have it ready by then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve had a ticket open with Kia America HQ about the wireless CarPlay disconnecting issue. Sunday they told me they expect to have a fix available this week for dealers to download. You’ll need to go into a dealer to let them update it. Apparently Apple changed something with iOS14 and didn’t tell Kia so they’re having to update everyone’s infotainment system. I scheduled an appointment for Jan 18. Hoping they will have it ready by then.
No, I don't believe for a second that they "failed to tell Kia". In my opinion - informed by my 35+ years of professional software development experience - anyone at Kia/Hyundai that says that is totally ignorant of how this works or is lying to save face for Kia/Hyundai dropping the ball. Kia/Hyundai's developers/contractors, like all of Apple's dev partners, can get early access to developer seeds of a new iOS release months before it is released to the general public. They also get updates regularly as the release is refined - all before the GA release (public general availability release). If Apple really did break CarPlay connectivity, Kia's developers and the developers of every other manufacturer's infotainment device would have known about it before it went GA and would have had the ability to initiate trouble tickets with Apple and work with Apple's CarPlay engineering team to troubleshoot and correct the issue. Clearly, Kia/Hyundai was caught up short after iOS 14 was released to the world. That makes me think that their continuing engineering folks that maintain the infotainment software are either underfunded, incompetent, or non-existent. Again, this is MY opinion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Garden54
While I understand and believe you are experiencing ACP disconnects, this by itself does not implicate Apple or Kia for that matter. First, before dismissing the cable out-of-hand, are you positive you're using a genuine, undamaged Apple cable or 3rd party vendor's cable that has been MFi certified? I've been burned in the past by budget cables that work fine for charging and low bandwidth data, but won't work for high-speed data transfers typical of some ACP navigation apps. Second, is the lightning socket on your iPhone clear of pocket lint that could interfere with proper seating of the cable's connector?

Assuming all of this has been addressed, there may be issues with the manner in which connection management/sanity checking is done at higher levels of the OSI stack that are common to wired and wireless ACP. My intuition puts high odds it's on the Kia infotainment head unit. Apple has an army of design architects, software engineers, systems engineers, and test teams to turn loose on ACP. Hell, they wrote the requirements specification for the interfaces. They work in the same building as the iOS teams. Kia likely has a handful of head unit software engineers and these days, who knows? The work could be outsourced to a contract software house in India or China for all we know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went to the dealer yesterday and they give me this ! It basically said that it’s not the unit the problem! It’s IOS14 and Apple is working on a fix I’m guessing for the next update!

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX
34 Posts
Hey everyone,

It looks like there is an update available for the K5 experiencing carplay issues. Not sure how many people would want to try to do this on their own, but I did download the zip and pdf with instructions. Here is a list of all service actions that I got on kiatechinfo.com (it is a paid subscription, but well worth the $19 for 72 hour access to me to get the electrical diagrams I needed for a halogen to LED tail light conversion).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went to the dealer yesterday and they give me this ! It basically said that it’s not the unit the problem! It’s IOS14 and Apple is working on a fix I’m guessing for the next update!
When the fix is available, it will be obvious who is changing their code. If Apple is working on a fix, it would get folded into the next iOS 14.x update. If you are instructed to bring the car into the dealer so they can reflash the firmware or if they tell you to wait for an over-the-air update push from Kia, then that's obviously not an Apple fix. ;)

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 EX
34 Posts
When the fix is available, it will be obvious who is changing their code. If Apple is working on a fix, it would get folded into the next iOS 14.x update. If you are instructed to bring the car into the dealer so they can reflash the firmware or if they tell you to wait for an over-the-air update push from Kia, then that's obviously not an Apple fix. ;)
the fix is available :) It's a Kia update that requires a zip file on a USB stick. No OTA update.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From the service bulletin it clearly tells dealers to ONLY update cars they have in stock.
Did you get dealer to update your car?

41 - 60 of 79 Posts