Kia K5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 K5 LSX Has anyone upgraded phones recently and noticed the wireless charger isn't working? I upgraded to the iPhone 13 pro max from the 11 pro max. The 11 still charges, but the 13 doesn't. A friend also tried charging her iPhone 12 recently and that also didn't work.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
702 Posts
Have you tried it without a case? Also, I hear that some phones have the wireless charging plate sitting lower on the phone and that propping it up a little higher with something underneath can make it charge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, I’ve seen it posted a few times here and can confirm. The iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 13 Pro Max WITH case on will NOT charge just dropped into the charger tray (with the holder in or not. The options are:
1. Remove the case when you want to wirelessly charge, or
2. Put something in the bottom of the charger tray such that the phone with case is raised by about a cm or so. Someone previously mentioned a lip balm container, I’m using a bit of rolled velcro.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yup have 12 pro max and mine only charges if I put it in the slot upside down or I raise it about an inch before it hits the bottom. The problem is not really how new the phone is its more of how big. The problem lies within the alignment of the coils.

·
Registered
2021 GT-Line
17 Posts
2021 K5 LSX Has anyone upgraded phones recently and noticed the wireless charger isn't working? I upgraded to the iPhone 13 pro max from the 11 pro max. The 11 still charges, but the 13 doesn't. A friend also tried charging her iPhone 12 recently and that also didn't work.
Stick a piece of styrofoam in the slot to raise the phone up. It will work

·
Registered
2021 K5 GT Line AWD Wolf Gray
16 Posts
I had a iPhone 12 Pro with mag safe case and it charged fine. I'll have to check my 13 Pro when the wife gets home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@KBohn Just read your message again and I had only understood this to be a MAX problem, but that’s only because I have the MAX. :) Your friend’s iPhone 12 couldn’t charge either? Is that with or without case?

·
Registered
1 Posts
just place the phone upside down. I have the 12 pro max and that works for me. but I use apple car play so its plugged in most of the time anyway

·
Registered
4 Posts
just place the phone upside down. I have the 12 pro max and that works for me. but I use apple car play so its plugged in most of the time anyway
Upside down in a case or not? My 12 pro max won’t charge in Apple’s leather case either way around.

·
Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
702 Posts
Does it have anything else in between the phone and the charger like credit cards? I know some phone cases have card holders on the back and those can also interfere with wireless chargers.

Oh and if it hasn't been working since you got the car, check the settings for the wireless charger via the instrument cluster and see if the wireless charger was turned off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does it have anything else in between the phone and the charger like credit cards? I know some phone cases have card holders on the back and those can also interfere with wireless chargers.
What I’ve been able to figure from testing (and reading here) is that MagSafe cases will allow a charge, BUT the ridge that surrounds the camera module means that when you put it in the slot, the bottom is fine, but the ridge is JUST thick enough to mess up the connection. Raising it up by placing something under it means that ridge is no longer preventing the connection and it works.

Upside down in a case doesn’t work for me, either. Without a case, it works as expected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts