Kia K5 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Super Moderator
302 Posts
We got our K5 June or July of 2000 same problem just started!! (Wasn't putting many miles in until recently)
Keep us updated!!
Take it to the dealership. Its a malfunctioning actuator. I just started driving more and I'm just over 7k miles. Im concerned my '22 will have this problem. There is a Youtube video about going into the trunk and unplugging the actuator. Only problem is that the gas door wont stay locked

· Registered
4 Posts
Take it to the dealership. Its a malfunctioning actuator. I just started driving more and I'm just over 7k miles. Im concerned my '22 will have this problem. There is a Youtube video about going into the trunk and unplugging the actuator. Only problem is that the gas door wont stay locked
Thanks!!! Gonna try to find the video for emergency meanwhile.
Do you recall the videos name or channel name? It would help us a lot.
We had gotten it to work...somehow, almost thought we'd gave to call roadside assistance as we were almost out of gas😳.

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
154 Posts
Apparently, Kia fixed this problem on the 2023 models...my 2023 GT has a push open fuel door. Not locked at all. No switches or levers to open it.

When I wash the car and run the foamed-up wash rag over the door it opens...:)

I'd rather it be locked and needing to be opened from inside...but I'll learn to live with it.

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
154 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Apparently, Kia fixed this problem on the 2023 models...my 2023 GT has a push open fuel door. Not locked at all. No switches or levers to open it.

I'd rather it be locked and needing to be opened from inside...but I'll learn to live with it.
My 2000 K5 is the same way. Tap door to open...but got stuck earlier today.
However, hubby now thinks it's because he didn't turn car off before he attempted to fuel. I was inside and it was hot out. (South Florida
He paid then turned car off didn't unlock gas door. Usually car is off before he gets out.
🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
He used door controls to unlock drivers door.
Luckily, it's a lease, so if there is a real problem it's their problem 😉

· Registered
2022 K5 GT
35 Posts

The 2022's have push to open fuel doors as well. I believe they've moved on from having switches inside the vehicle (previous car was a 2013 Optima and the switch was lower down on the inside of driver's door). The fuel door will lock and unlock in tandem with the other doors on the vehicle.

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
154 Posts
The 2022's have push to open fuel doors as well. I believe they've moved on from having switches inside the vehicle (previous car was a 2013 Optima and the switch was lower down on the inside of driver's door). The fuel door will lock and unlock in tandem with the other doors on the vehicle.
Weird...my 2017 Optima had the fuel door switch on the dash - never had any problems with it.

Fortes have a fuel door lever on the floor just in front of the driver seat, left side.

2010-up Forte:
Automotive design Fixture Personal luxury car Motor vehicle Vehicle door

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
154 Posts
I'm curious and confused about this post! According to the 2021-2023 K5's respective owner's manuals it shows all the fuel doors open by pushing on them - no switches or buttons.

2021:

Automotive lighting Font Line Automotive design Material property

Is this correct? Are people having problems with the push open door?

SCRATCH THAT! NOW I get it - the fuel door is locked when you lock the car! Disconnecting the actuator will only help if the door isn't locked.

Disconnecting the actuator when the car is unlocked will prevent the fuel door from ever locking.

· Registered
2022 K5 GT
35 Posts
I'm curious and confused about this post! According to the 2021-2023 K5's respective owner's manuals it shows all the fuel doors 0pen by pushing on them - no switches or buttons.

2021:

View attachment 3922

Is this correct? Are people having problems with the push open door?
The powered actuator that locks and unlocks the door is failing for some people.

· Registered
2023 Kia K5 GT
154 Posts
The powered actuator that locks and unlocks the door is failing for some people.
Until just a minute ago I wasn't aware the fuel door is locked with the doors. Every time I've opened it the car's doors were unlocked so I assumed it was always able to be opened. Next time I wash the car I'll lock the doors, so the fuel door won't open when I run the cleaning rag over it...LOL!

· Registered
2021 Kia K5 GT-Line AWD
1,396 Posts
@GlacialWhiteGT
I clean the inside of the gas door area with a detail brush before washing the outside
Same, I usually clean the inside of the door and gas filling area as well with a detailing brush. Unfortunately, this was also how I found out that the gas filler door actuator failed on me over this past weekend. I couldn't open it to properly wash it like I usually do but thankfully I still had 3-4 days of commute fuel left in my tank. I was able to find a dealer nearby to set an appointment on Wednesday to get it fixed. Other dealers had like a 2-week appointment period, which I wouldn't be able to last even with a full tank of gas.

That said, their service staff was pretty helpful and got it fixed on the same day I got it in. Apparently, it is a known issue and there was a TSB posted about it already. The work was done under warranty. Here is the official TSB documentation from the NHTSA site for recalls and TSBs:

According to the documentation, the repair seems to be easily done by yourself, provided you have the replacement part, a 10mm socket, and a long enough screwdriver to get into that small space between the body panel and support. Mind you, It's a very tight fit back there so it's hard to get a good angle for enough visibility.

· Super Moderator
302 Posts
@KunoMochi
Nice and sometimes finding things out by accident is a blessing in disguise. I did look back there once to see what it would take to unplug the actuator in case mine has issues.

I have a service appointment with Kia this Thursday. I will ask if their is any outstanding TSB for my '22

· Registered
2022 K5 GT line FWD
61 Posts
You can get the door open from inside the trunk. Remove the electric lock from inside the trunk, open the door, fill up the tank. Schedule the repair when they have the part. No need to be at the dealer for three days.

· Registered
3 Posts
Thank you!! I had asked them to physically open it so I can come back ...I got a mouth full of liability issues if they do so because I'm still under warranty. I feel like my car is being held hostage! 😕

21 - 37 of 37 Posts